Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Limit Player moving in to NL.

[ QUOTE ]
Read SSHE by Ed Miller.

You'll be good to go.

[/ QUOTE ]
SSHE does not tell you how to play NL at all. It does not tell you how to evaluate hands when implied odds are so important. If you raise as aggressively in a NL game as SSHE recommends for limit, you'll pick up a few little pots and then lose your stack. Of course, SSHE says nothing about choosing the size of your bets.

In limit poker, you get to make many more value bets than in NL. Many more hands are about distinguishing one pair hands from each other, and what happens when much larger hands collide is relatively unimportant. In NL, you have to distinguish larger hands from each other, and you have to be prepared to fold much stronger hands. I can't remember folding a set in limit, but I had an easy fold of second set in my last NL session. (I was up against the nut flush and a straightflush in a 5 buy-in pot.)

In limit, you can call down when you think you are beat but the pot is large. In NL, this is suicide.