FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: 13 vs 14
13 64 76.19%
14 20 23.81%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2005, 08:17 AM

Default Re: When will rakeback be gone?

Daz,

KK was clearly talking about rakeback from the Poker Rooms perspective.

With Betfair's purchase of Pokerchamps, it will be interesting to see what they do with the pokerchamps rakeback model.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Daz,

KK was clearly talking about rakeback from the Poker Rooms perspective.

With Betfair's purchase of Pokerchamps, it will be interesting to see what they do with the pokerchamps rakeback model.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I was talking about the Poker Rooms perspective. I've already got 2 degrees and a Masters, so no economics class will be needed.

Some of the key words use by people in this thread were "chasing a better deal" and "undercutting". Sites that allow rakeback can only keep there players until they are offered a better rakeback deal. Then they leave, "chasing the next deal".

Also, poker rooms are trusting affiliates they don't know from a hole in the ground to keep their players happy. Are you telling me that makes sense? Some affiliate you have screws a 100k a year player and you lose the guy.

Poker rooms (good ones) just want affiliates to bring them players, that's it. None of this rakeback [censored] to keep players happy. The rooms get the players and they will be responsible for keeping them happy, not the affiliate.

Party, Stars, etc are trying to change the industry so no one offers rakeback. That won't happen because the terds will always have to offer it to get business. Who the hells going to go play at a site with 3k players if they don't offer rakeback? No too many good players.

I don't mind the occasional "comp" to players that is allowed by most poker rooms. If you have a really good player that brings in a lot of money, send him an ipod or something, no big deal. But the rake is the rake. The player doesn't have a "right" to some of it back.

If you don't like that, don't play the sites that won't allow it, it's as simple as that. I seriously doubt Stars or Party will miss a beat.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:59 AM

Ugh, this is what I get for skimming through threads. I sincerely apologize for my response and I'll try to read things a little more thoroughly before I post replies like that in the future.

To add to the discussion, I don't think it's so much that player's think it's their "right" to receive some of the rake back. It's just that serious players are trying to obtain the highest +EV deal. Let's take a look at Party and Stars. Party has fishier tables and Stars has lower rake. (I don't know this for a fact, it's just what the general opinion seems to be.) That doesn't matter. What matters is how much I can make per hour playing at each site. Even if Stars completely removed the rake, effectively giving me 100% rakeback, if I earn more playing with the Party fish, I'm going to stay there.

Ok, that's an obvious point. The thing is, once I'm settled at Party, if my options are rakeback or no rakeback, all other things equal, of course I want rakeback. I don't need it; I just prefer it. Let's say all the tables tighten up and a lot of the fish left, cutting my BB/100 in half. If it's still +EV for me to play poker, I'll play. But that's not going to stop me from bitching about the glory days when my BB/100 was something worthwhile.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pokershare gone for North America. How long will it be before rakeback will be gone(In North America)or anywhere on all sites?

[/ QUOTE ]

Excuse my ignorance.....What is RAKEBACK ? <font color="white"> (HAHAHAHAHAHA) </font>
Old 11-03-2005, 06:03 PM

KKSuited... I will just note that you didn't reply to either of the 2 claims on the $100 offer [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2005, 03:06 AM

There will always be price competition and discounts for good customers. Poker is a business like any other.

Stop thinking about rakeback and start thinking about the cost to play a hand. Rakeback is just part of a bigger picture that includes the rake schedule, bonuses, and other player rewards.

The current trend is that rakeback and other good customer discounts are spreading and increasing. Compare with the situation a year ago instead of panicking over the latest "headline".

The other current trend is rake increases: Party, Pokerroom, Absolute, and Pacific to name a few.

The combined effect is that savvy customers are paying less and the suckers are paying more. This is to be expected in a market where some customers are very price-conscious and others don't seem to care.

Expect the maze of arcane rules and arbitrary restrictions to continue. They are necessary to ensure that only motivated customers get the discounts. See the airline and hotel industries for good examples of how this works. The chaos is intentional and necessary to prevent the price structure from flattening out.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:04 PM

anyone else notice how full tilt is picking up steam...

rakeback there is pretty sweet, bye bye empire
Old 11-05-2005, 02:05 AM

Actually, the best thing for party to do is to offer rakeback directly to decent volume players. This will ensure that the players are happy and will increase the volume that these people put into the rake, thus putting in more money to the pool. Instead of making 100% of 50k hands, they'd be making 75% of 100k hands. Rakeback will easily get me to play 2x as many hands as I would w/out rakeback b/c there is a much greater incentive for me to keep playing
Old 11-05-2005, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, the best thing for party to do is to offer rakeback directly to decent volume players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Contact vip@partypoker.com and ask them for an offer, assuming you are playing a high volume (10K+) of hands there already!