Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 12:25 AM

Default Re: A hand reading exercise

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why it's such an easy raise. Have I been reading too much of ITPM lately?

[/ QUOTE ]

You sure haven't been understanding it.

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

We don't know how MP plays. We want him to be tight, passive, and predictable, but this is a rare breed online. I also think a multiway pot is more likely than a heads up pot. Am I wrong to think the favorable conditions we desire are highly unlikely for this play to be more profitable than limping and spiking?
Old 09-07-2005, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why it's such an easy raise. Have I been reading too much of ITPM lately?

[/ QUOTE ]

You sure haven't been understanding it.

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

We don't know how MP plays. We want him to be tight, passive, and predictable, but this is a rare breed online. I also think a multiway pot is more likely than a heads up pot. Am I wrong to think the favorable conditions we desire are highly unlikely for this play to be more profitable than limping and spiking?

[/ QUOTE ]

We don't mind if he's loose, passive, and predictable either.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

What did I have? What did SB have?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had 66 and the SB had J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

hot damn, i actually got one of these!
Old 09-07-2005, 02:03 AM

First how you can fold this on the river?
[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with x,y.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, Hero calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

River: (17.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero folds, Button calls.

Final Pot: 19.50 BB

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-07-2005, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"your preflop raise may not drive a hand like J9s out, but it will force him to make a mistake by playing..."

Exactly.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

edit - i'm retarded...i thought the guy was in the bb, not the sb. yeah the call by him would have been wrong.

i like the raise preflop here.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:23 AM

I cannot believe you folded 66 here.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:28 AM

I'm having a very hard time figuring out what you could have that isn't worth raising preflop, but is worth giving all that action, but isn't worth 1 bet on the river.

Teh only thing I can come up with is Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. You turned teh big draw and top pair and figured you'd raise to protect your hand the times it was good, potentially knocking out a J in the process, etc.

The other guy could have a number of hands. Anything from a set of sixes to 97 to J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

my 2 cents.
Eric
Old 09-07-2005, 05:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hero: 66 or QT

[/ QUOTE ]

You think these would be folded for 1 bet on the river in this huge pot?
Old 09-07-2005, 05:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
would have raised preflop...

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I can tell, there isn't any hand where something like this can;t be applied. For example, the popular choices of 66 and QT... would have called river.

I also consdier KJs and while I dismissed it because I agree he'd likely raise ti preflop, it does seem as reasonable as anything else I can come up with. At least limping KJs makes some sense. Maybe it's a losse game and you don't think you'll isolate the limper very often. Folding 66 certainly does not.

my 2 cents.
Eric
Old 09-07-2005, 05:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had 66 and the SB had J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me get this straight. You reached the river in a big pot against an unknown, and then folded a set for 1 big bet. Is that right?

Damn. I don't even know what to say. I can't believe you're discussing whether or not to raise 66 preflop when you're laying down huge hands on the river. Don't you think the guy could have two pair?! If he had shown QT, would you have posted this?

my 2 cents.
Eric