Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2005, 11:14 AM

Default Could it be that I am better suited to short handed?

The last few days I have decided to experiment at the 6-max tables on Party.

Up til now my BB/100 was about 8 for NL $25. On NL $50 I was actually losing money.
These stats were only for a couple of thousand hands (since I only just switched from Paradise) but they seem to be steady.

Since I switch to 6-max my BB/100 has rocketed to amazing numbers. I have reached about 20 in both $25 and $50.
However, these stats are only for about 400 hands at $50 and 700 at $25.

I know these numbers are not too significat statistically (compared to the 50,000 I have from Paradise) but could these point to the fact that I would be better off playing the short-handed tables?

I noticed that my VP$IP is up from about 19% in the full-ring games to 25% in the 6-max.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Could it be that I am better suited to short handed?

Statistically insignificant of course, but a nice start. Time will tell if you really have an incredible short-handed talent, or you've just been lucky.

On the other hand, I've been having a similar experience. As a long time SSNL player, I recently started playing 6-max 1/2 Limit in a bonus whoring expedition/experiment. I've only played limit maybe once or twice in the last 6 years. Anyway, I printed out a simple starting hand guide from the Micro-Limit board and bet for value, chasing draws only when the pot odds were right. I haven't used PT for these limit games either. In a short 10 hours of play (single table), I'm up about $300 before bonuses. Don't know if this is just natural variation or if there are just more donkeys at these tables, but I'm gonna keep at it for a while and see what happens.

So in some sense I'm having the same sort of questions. Is the transition from NL to Limit a lot easier than the reverse, or am I just lucky? I'm guessing a little of both - I've caught a few nice runs of cards, but also there seems to be more bad Limit players than bad NL players in the games I've played so far.

Disclaimer - I play NL at UB. I have yet to join the fish fest at Party.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:33 PM

I think it's easier to go from limit to NL. Going from NL to limit will lead you to play way too passively and miss out on a lot of value.

But what do I know? I only played limit for about two months before I gave up.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Disclaimer - I play NL at UB. I have yet to join the fish fest at Party.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too...I think this is -EV, but for some reason I just have made the switch yet...

To the OP:

Just remember variance goes up the more short handed it is. So it is conceivable to "run better" because of the variance, but it will put the breaks on when to have a longer "bad run".

-Gryph
Old 03-24-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the transition from NL to Limit a lot easier than the reverse, or am I just lucky?

[/ QUOTE ]
I have tried a number of times to move from NL to Limit just for a try. Each time I get burned and curse myself for not learning.
I just can't take the lack of control you have over a hand in Limit. I want to be able to kill a hand if neccessary - something that is almost impossible to do in Limit.