Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 05:01 AM

Default Re: on the title.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Since you brought it up by the way, everyone has the right and the obligation to shoot down ethnic slurs wherever they are seen, not just those in the target audience. Doing so is way more important than any poker content discussed in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we assume there are only three possible responses to the title of this post, disgust, indifference, or amusement, i believe the triple that best expresses the average white male's response to the title is:

{1, 19, 80}

and furthermore, for an asian like myself

{0, 0, 100}

therefore he played it correctly. Feel free to dispute my math, but I ran it through pokerstove and doublechecked.

[/ QUOTE ]

great post
Old 11-23-2005, 05:08 AM

ty tongni.
let these niggas know!
Old 11-23-2005, 05:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ty tongni.
let these niggas know!

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:46 AM

Just because you're not offended doesn't mean titles like this are fine.

I'm Asian, and I wasn't offended in the least. Play in any California card room and you'll likely see non-Asians use phrases like "ni han" while engaging in playful banter with Asians. There have been posts about how bad beetz, a white kid and poster here, regularly busts out Vietnamese phrases at the table. Everyone is friends with one another (or at least friendly), and it's clear no offense is meant, so it's all good.

But say, "I LELAISE" loudly to a tatted up Asian you don't know from Adam and you're liable to get your ass kicked, or worse. Fights have broken out over less.

Again, I wasn't offended by the title. I'm not a fan of political correctness in general. But I'm not a recent immigrant who can't pronounce "reraise." I imagine a high-school kid who gets made fun of because of his accent wouldn't feel too hot if he saw flawless' post. Are there such individuals on 2+2? Maybe. I don't know.

In 2001 Sarah Silverman told a joke on Conan O' Brien that included the word "chink." Various Asian groups complained but nothing really came of it. Now, I wasn't offended by the joke; in fact, I thought it was funny. But I was offended by Silverman's cavalier attitude toward the whole thing. She insisted that the joke wasn't in poor taste, when it clearly would've been had she substituted "nigger" or "faggot" for "chink." In a 2003 interview she revealed that--surprise, surprise--she didn't have any Chinese friends (in response to the question, "Did your Chinese friends give you hell for the infamous joke ...?).

An Asian kid who gets called "chink" every day in school sure as hell would be offended by Silverman's joke, even if she thinks it's completely harmless.

When it comes to matters of this sort, it's often difficult to discern the line between what's offensive and what's acceptable. I believe it's even more difficult for white people, as they simply have not had the experiences other groups have had. This is why many champions of super political correctness are white--they think things are more offensive than they really are.

But it works the other way, too. Just because you think something isn't offensive, don't go around proclaiming that you're in the right and that anyone who disagrees is a PC Nazi. You will almost never be the best judge of what's ok and what isn't.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I felt obligated to jump in when tongni pulled the race card, a card to which a white person is hard-pressed to respond.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just because you're not offended doesn't mean titles like this are fine.

I'm Asian, and I wasn't offended in the least. Play in any California card room and you'll likely see non-Asians use phrases like "ni han" while engaging in playful banter with Asians. There have been posts about how bad beetz, a white kid and poster here, regularly busts out Vietnamese phrases at the table. Everyone is friends with one another (or at least friendly), and it's clear no offense is meant, so it's all good.

But say, "I LELAISE" loudly to a tatted up Asian you don't know from Adam and you're liable to get your ass kicked, or worse. Fights have broken out over less.

Again, I wasn't offended by the title. I'm not a fan of political correctness in general. But I'm not a recent immigrant who can't pronounce "reraise." I imagine a high-school kid who gets made fun of because of his accent wouldn't feel too hot if he saw flawless' post. Are there such individuals on 2+2? Maybe. I don't know.

In 2001 Sarah Silverman told a joke on Conan O' Brien that included the word "chink." Various Asian groups complained but nothing really came of it. Now, I wasn't offended by the joke; in fact, I thought it was funny. But I was offended by Silverman's cavalier attitude toward the whole thing. She insisted that the joke wasn't in poor taste, when it clearly would've been had she substituted "nigger" or "faggot" for "chink." In a 2003 interview she revealed that--surprise, surprise--she didn't have any Chinese friends (in response to the question, "Did your Chinese friends give you hell for the infamous joke ...?).

An Asian kid who gets called "chink" every day in school sure as hell would be offended by Silverman's joke, even if she thinks it's completely harmless.

When it comes to matters of this sort, it's often difficult to discern the line between what's offensive and what's acceptable. I believe it's even more difficult for white people, as they simply have not had the experiences other groups have had. This is why many champions of super political correctness are white--they think things are more offensive than they really are.

But it works the other way, too. Just because you think something isn't offensive, don't go around proclaiming that you're in the right and that anyone who disagrees is a PC Nazi. You will almost never be the best judge of what's ok and what isn't.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I felt obligated to jump in when tongni pulled the race card, a card to which a white person is hard-pressed to respond.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 11-23-2005, 12:29 PM

rtrombone,

Well said. My main objection to it was that it was not funny and unnecessary. I give a lot of leeway to offensive jokes that are truly funny. But unfunny slurs are merely gratuitous at best and mean-spirited at worst.

This forum, in contrasts with some of the other forums here, have generally maintained a high standard of maturity and serious discussion. The immature name calling and insults that seem pervade some of the other forums have generally been absent here. I'd just hate to see this forum degenerate with the pointless intrusion of gratuitous slurs.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:39 PM

you are too quick, I soooo wanted to do this.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:39 PM

I was going to title a post, "Y'all should've seen this hand!". But now I won't. Wouldn't want to offend any 2+2ers from south of the Mason Dixie line.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:09 PM

I think a post with a title containing a derogatory phrase/term in an open forum shows a lack of forethought and class.

Most of the posters here probably don't find anything wrong with it and will laugh along with you flawless, but next time you would do well do consider what you are saying about yourself with a title like that.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:18 PM

Default FROM A REDNECKS POV

You know, I didnt even get the "joke" in the title here until someone pointed it out. However, I feel that anything that is said out of humor, and not out of ill will or hatred is easily defined. I think that flawless is not out of line or racist in his remark. In fact, I think that anyone who could draw a link to what he said "le-laise" and racism is too sensitive to a cause that isn't that great. I hear jokes about my accent being from Texas, and the occasional redneck remark. SO what? It's funny, isn't it? People need to be able to draw a line between comments made out of malice and comments made in jest.

Tex