Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 07:43 PM

Default Re: If a book on SnG\'s came out, wouldn\'t they die?

Wouldn't it kill SNGs if a website dedicated to it was created?

Oh wait...
Old 07-25-2005, 07:58 PM

I doubt it we have this site which is free and as good as any book, fish still there just don't crack the tank.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:25 PM

you guys use SSHE by Miller for STTs?! I thought the definative book on STTs was HOH by Harrington?
Old 07-25-2005, 08:32 PM

They were making an analogy.

SSHE : Limit 2-4
and
[some SNG guidebook] : NL SNG
Old 07-25-2005, 08:33 PM

Your friend does have a bit of a point. Misapplying a concept you read the night before could be disastrous. Then again if he didn't have a strategy beforehand, any strategy is better than none.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:00 PM

If sit and gos were so simple, everyone who's been using this site for a while would be 8 tabling the $215s by now.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:23 PM

The Harrington books are basically SNG's (only read volume one yet though)
Old 07-25-2005, 11:33 PM

The newest volume of Jones' Winning Low Limit Hold'em has a section on SnG play. Plenty of folks still call raises with junk and then call off all their chips with 2nd pair, no draw...
Old 07-25-2005, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since SSHE is so relatively easy to play and multi-table, if a book came out teaching people how to play the game properly...wouldn't it die? Wait, there IS a definitive work on SSHE...and 95% of players can't be bothered to read it. No one studies something they think they already know (which is the case of many, many online players)...and very few people wish to "study" their pure-enjoyment hobby (which is the case of many other online players).

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree.... I took a finance professor in college who was teaching us how to use his buy and sell screens based on willian oneil/peter lynch formula and one of the students asked him If you teach this system to the whole class wouldnt they cancel out the market? THe professor responded by saying i could teach the system to 1000 people and only 5 will get it because only a few will have the discipline to use it.

I take this example in stock selection just like all the hold em books that are coming out.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:31 AM

I like your example, Last Samurai.

People will always be lazy and underperform. They don't take it seriously. This is why you have varying limits and skill levels in poker, and why that money will always flow from bad players to good ones. People don't play poker professionally at .01/.02 no limit...but I learned from playing in this games, moved to the .05/.10 and had to learna lot more...and so on. SO a book comes out, many people don't comprehend enough of what they read and as far as being able to apply it...come on. EVEN if they had the capability, they lack the patience. You will always have unskilled players playing above thier bankroll. You'll always have a good, skilled player playing at a lower level, for various reasons. A book on the subject might make a few people better, a few people worse but won't affect your EV. I don't think so at least. How many kids are going pro in baseball from Emansky's back-to-back-to-back AAU championship defensive drill DVD also airing on ESPN? None, or maybe 5...how many people lost weight becasue of Dr. Phil's Ultimate Weight Loss SOlution? Not as many as could stand to. Give someone a fish feed him for a day, teach him to fish and he might get a job somewhere else. Also, one other point, most people don't play poker for a job...so while you are stressing over your EV in the 22s, they're blowing a 20-spot grandma gave them last week.