Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2005, 12:41 AM

Default Some pots\' mothers are bigger than other pots\' mothers.

This pot is just sickly ginormous. Same game from Jason's post, 9 handed with lots of really bad players (some drunk, some not) and 3 2p2ers.

5 calls, ABC bad player raises, I 3bet button with K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB caps, everyone calls. 8 to the turn for 32sb (I am pretty sure this had 8 players, but it could have been 7).

Read: The SB is a big gambler preflop. He capped Jason T earlier with 6s9s, and in a different hand capped with TJo. His hand range is incredibly wide. Postflop he is somewhat decent - a bet from him means the flop hit him somehow (or he has an overpair).

Flop 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] SB bets out, 3 callers to me, I call.

Turn 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] SB bets again, one call (definitely no ten), next player calls all in, one fold, and I raise. The other two call.

River A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] SB bets, in betweener calls, hero ?

I am getting about 22-1 here, can I fold?
Old 09-25-2005, 01:05 AM

Default Re: Some pots\' mothers are bigger than other pots\' mothers.

I think you're probably screwed, but I'd call anyway, you might even be good 5% of the time. I call here because if I folded a winner in this pot I might puke on the keyboard.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:17 AM

This is a great thread title.

Call the river and spit on the chips as you do it.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:19 AM

I'm not sure how you get that the 'tweener doesn't have a ten--it's very possible that he'd just call the turn bet with a straight, fearing the flush (or a Q-high straight). If you have a particular read on that player, that's one thing, but just in general I think it's dangerous to assume he doesn't have a straight there.

Anyway, you have the old problem here: the pot is laying incredible odds, but it's already been bet and called, on top of an all-in (which, incidentally, considerably lowers your pot odds if the all in player does have a flush or straight...or an ace, or a set, or two pair...). Combined with the fact that you'll be able to see the winning hand(s) regardless, I don't think you can overcall with just kings here.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:40 AM

I would call. You are probably not good 1/22 times. But you avoid having a stroke the 1/50 times or whatever that you are.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:00 AM

Some quick notes: This was a live game. Because of that I had better than normal reads. I am 100% sure the caller didn't have a ten in this hand, because he was that ABC. He simply would have raised there. Besides all of that, he looked uncomfortable calling, which made me think draw.

Also the pot was laying me 27-1. I was in a hurry and am not good at counting.