Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 08:07 PM

Default Percentage of flops seen

I searched around for this and couldn't find anything. I was wondering what is the range of % of flops seen? I thought I was playing pretty tight at around 25%, but talked to a friend who said his is around 12 or 13%! I think the game has a lot to do with it. I mostly play .05/.10 at Stars and there are few raises preflop, so my % of hands seen in the big and small blind are larger than they would normally be. When not in the blinds, my % of flops seen is around 10 to 15%. What % is considered tight, and what % is considered loose? Also, what range is ideal for these types of games?
Old 07-01-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Percentage of flops seen

The more important stat is VPIP (Value Put Into Pot) This measures the percentage of the time that you willfully put money into the pot, it doesn't count taking free a flop from the BB, and things like that. You can find this out using PokerTracker which you can buy online, or some people on this forum can get you for free. It's highly reccomended to get. If you're wondering my VPIP over almost 10,000 hands is 22.72% and I only play 6-max.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can find this out using PokerTracker which you can buy online, or some people on this forum can get you for free.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am playing at very low limits and cannot justify spending so much money on Poker Tracker at this stage, but would love to have it to improve my game. How can I get it for free?
Old 07-14-2005, 09:15 PM

30%+ i say is loose

20% down is tight

inbetween is grey area. im about 17%. if you are 13% or less, you are a huge rock
Old 07-14-2005, 09:31 PM

If you are really looking to improve your game, and track your progress you can do this for free. Just get a pen and pad and make a tick everytime you put money into the money before the flop. Basically, anytime you call the blind.

As the person said before, you are trying to track your Voluntary Percent $ put In Pot (VP$IP). Then, at the end of every session check how many hands you played. Hopefully the poker room you play at allows you to see how many hands you have played. If not, you will have to track that as well. Then simply divide the number of hands you played by the number of ticks you have.... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2005, 09:37 PM

VPIP is "Voluntarily Place Money in Pot"
For NL there isnt a narrow range of VPIP that will get the money, but I think anything over 40% is too loose. Mine is around 30% for 6 max games, which by many standards is loose. When I play limit full table I am 15-18%

H
Old 07-14-2005, 09:41 PM

nh.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:46 PM

focus on making optimal plays with common hands instead of worrying about your % of flops seen. learn how to get away from easily dominated hands, overpairs, top pair top kicker when they are obviously no good. learn how to extract value from these hands in position and out of position. learn how to get best value on your draws and how to quickly put your opponents on a likely range of hands and from that to judge your average pot equity in the heat of battle. aside from record keeping purposes i don't find pokertracker terribly useful playing nl. watching opponents' hands that reach showdown show a lot more insight than general statistics over small sample sizes.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:22 PM

I am actually trying this myself, my VP$IP is only around 18.5% in 6-max, which is pretty low, although I know the overall flops seen % goes way up since you're in the blinds 25%+ of the time.

My basic starting requirements are:
any pair
suited connectors QJs-54s
suited aces AKs-ATs
unsuited aces AKo-AJo
suited kings KQs-KTs
unsuited kings KQo-KJo
QJo

These I'll play from any position as default play, unless table actions / table dictates otherwise. I'll also steal with any ace and any king if I see the table's tight or if the opportunity presents itself. I'm also incorporating suited one-gaps.

Still, my VP$IP isn't above 20% with all this.