Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2003, 02:04 AM

Default Need help deciphering this hand

Micro limits UB

I am one off the button with QQ

UTG open raises, UTG+1 calls, MP calls, I make it three bets, SB calls, UTG caps it, everyone calls

Flop: T48 (suits don't matter)

SB bets, all call

Turn: 3

SB bets, all fold to me (this surprised me, what could they have capped with pre-flop that was worth folding here?)
I raise, SB calls

River J

SB checks, I bet, he calls

My Queens held up.

In truth, I was intially wary of calling the cap pre-flop for fear I was up against AA or KK.

Any thoughts on how I or the others played this?
Old 04-24-2003, 02:44 AM

Default Re: Need help deciphering this hand

some thoughts---

1. In the UB micro limits, there is nothing wrong with playing QQ as the best hand. If you get 3-bet or even just raised on the flop, then maybe think about slowing it down a little. Who knows what he was putting in all that action with? Maybe AK?

2. I was intially wary of calling the cap pre-flop for fear I was up against AA or KK.

At this point, even if you somehow knew 100% that your opponent had AA or KK, you'd still be right to call the last cap preflop with all those bets in the pot. You may even be close enough to trying to spike a queen on the turn depending on the action you figured to get from the table.

3. You probably should have raised the flop. I think you got amazingly lucky that a)almost everyone folded the turn and b)such a usless card came on the turn. Make them pay or make them get out. Yes, I realize that maybe nobody would have folded because they already called the first bet. But maybe they will, and even if they don't they probably won't call the turn or will fold if SB bets the turn (like he did the flop), fearing another raise from you.
Old 04-24-2003, 03:51 AM

You played it fine. Be more inclined to raise with AA here on the flop and more inclined to wait til the turn with JJ and QQ. The line you took is perfectly reasonable though. You made a very good value bet on the river, despite the fact that a Jack is not a card you really want to see.
Old 04-24-2003, 08:31 AM

SB is likely betting top pair. When UTG only calls SB bet, you know he doesn't have AA/KK. Likely AK or other overcards. I would have raised flop when all call to you. You then properly took control of the hand on the turn.

In truth, I was intially wary of calling the cap pre-flop for fear I was up against AA or KK.

Even if you knew for sure he had AA you have to call the last bet. You weren't seriously thinking of folding? If just to see if you flop a set. Even with this flop , you'd have to be seriously sure of your read if you would fold an overpair to the board on the flop even after that.