Raise to $7+ 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2005, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Poker starting age?.

She's already too old, give it up.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:45 AM

Having a good education will give her options

Having a good education will give her options that will allow her to be average.

If you want to be very successful, in my opinion school is probably not the way to go. I'm in agreement with the original poster there. If you want to make sure you have a 22 year safety net, then school is fine. If I could do it over I doubt I would go to school, unless it was just a party school to have fun, because I learned very little in school that will actually help me become successful.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Having a good education will give her options

Having a good education will give her options that will allow her to be average.

If you want to be very successful, in my opinion school is probably not the way to go. I'm in agreement with the original poster there. If you want to make sure you have a 22 year safety net, then school is fine. If I could do it over I doubt I would go to school, unless it was just a party school to have fun, because I learned very little in school that will actually help me become successful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes how silly of me clearly it is better to have no advanced education than to have one. I forgot all of the things that having a degree and learning prevents one from doing.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:07 AM

That's only part of the plan.

My intentions for my daughter is for her to be independently wealthy by her 18th birthday, managing a multimillion dollar private trading fund, and/or with a career in diplomacy for an European nation (this JOB is optional). Poker will be hopefully only a passtime for her by then.

My parents intentions for me were to have a career and get a job. While, I believe thay had the best intentions at heart and succeeded with their plans, those were poor choices. I still love them for what they did.

The Polgar sisters (chess) were started in gaming, by their father at the age of 4, and that was before the internet was even a possibility.

I intend to stay ahead of the curve. Poker may not be the best vehicle in a few years anyway. I consider poker, just a means to an end. It's even boring.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:08 AM

Yes how silly of me clearly it is better to have no advanced education than to have one. I forgot all of the things that having a degree and learning prevents one from doing.

It's a closer call than you might think.

You sacrifice a large percentage of your life doing it, so it's a far more individual choice than a clearly better one.

These days you can pretty much learn anything you want to either online or from books, and if you have no desire to work for other people (rendering the piece of paper that says you're clever useless), then there really isn't anything to be gained from further education.

I'm not saying this approach is right for many people, but it is far from as obvious as you make out.

Lori
Old 04-29-2005, 10:08 AM

FWIW my kid is 4 and she is very in watching when I play. I haven't started teaching her poker per say, but we have been using a deck of cards to learn simple addition. We play Slapjack and other silly games.

I don't care if she plays poker or what not, but the main thing I want to teach her is to evaluate her decisions and make sure she chooses the +EV ones. Poker forces you to really think about decisions and future decisions and how their outcomes will affect you. Chess is similar, I plan to teach her both.

The school systems really don't help develop these decision making skills. They focus on memorizing information and conformity.

Your kid is three, what ever you decide to do, make sure she has a big fat smile on her face when your doing it. Thats all that really matters.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:11 AM

Also please ignore the following Nation wide data in favor or your and the OP's anecdotal evidence. College may not be for everyone and there are exceptions but when planning for a child's future it is retarded to think she/he would be better off with a good education.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:13 AM

Personally i feel my UK Computer science degree was a waste of £10000 and 4 years of my life.

I wish I had left school at 18 with my 3 A levels (good grades) and taken life from there.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It's a closer call than you might think.

You sacrifice a large percentage of your life doing it, so it's a far more individual choice than a clearly better one.

These days you can pretty much learn anything you want to either online or from books, and if you have no desire to work for other people (rendering the piece of paper that says you're clever useless), then there really isn't anything to be gained from further education.

I'm not saying this approach is right for many people, but it is far from as obvious as you make out.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I disagree it is pretty obvious when talking about a random person. We are not talking about someone who has already shown an interest or ability to be self employed but rather a random kid who would be playing poker at the detriment of school. IMO this is not at all close.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:14 AM

That data proves nothing other than clever people earn more money than non-clever people.

It doesn't prove that someone who could have done a degree but chose not to would earn any more or less than the person of identical intelligence who chose to do it.

Lori