Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 06:59 PM

Default High Level Thinking Party 2-4 NL Hand

I played this hand last night and I think it was pretty standard. This hand involved very high level thinking (for a monkey, at least). After seeing the hand, it's likely you'll think I am a fish or something, and that I love sooted cards. Well, one of those is true (I'll let you guess which). Before you criticize me (Hero) for playing the hand like I did, you have to realize that poker is about gambooling and that the person who currently has the best hand is not "entitled" to winning anything until all 5 cards are shown on the board.

I'm wondering if I could have gotten away from this hand at any point, seeing as how I love gambooling and I don't care about giving people bad beats. Keep in mind that I'm only 17 years old and I am a regular winning player. My strategy when I play poker is to win or lose a lot of money by gambooling, and then let my opponents donate their entire stacks to me later on when they're drawing dead.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">Hero ($409.5)</font>
BB ($757.9)
UTG ($1285.9)
UTG+1 ($1249.82)
<font color="#C00000">MP1 ($364)</font>
MP2 ($384.4)
MP3 ($382.3)
CO ($400)
<font color="#C00000">Button ($407.15)</font>

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $2. CO posts a blind of $4.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $4, MP1 calls $4, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO (poster) checks, Button calls $4, Hero (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($24) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $25</font>, Hero calls $25, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $75</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $125</font>, Hero calls $100, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $300</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $403.15</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $405.5</font>, MP1 calls $60.

Turn: ($1192.65) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

River: ($1192.65) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: $1192.65
<font color="#009B00">Main Pot: $1192.65, between Hero, MP1 and Button.</font> &gt; <font color="#FFFFFF">Pot won by Hero ($1192.65).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 8c Jc (flush, ace high).
MP1 has As Ad (three of a kind, aces).
Button has 2h Ah (two pair, aces and twos).
Outcome: Hero wins $1192.65. </font>

So what do you think? Am I ready to turn pro? I'm working on a huge (novel length) post that's going to basically document my poker career and how I became a poker pro at the age of 17. Keep your eyes open for it within the next couple of weeks.

God Bless!
-MagnoliasFM
Old 04-13-2005, 07:03 PM

Default Re: High Level Thinking Party 2-4 NL Hand

lol
Old 04-13-2005, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So what do you think? Am I ready to turn pro? I'm working on a huge (novel length) post that's going to basically document my poker career and how I became a poker pro at the age of 17. Keep your eyes open for it within the next couple of weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck. What's your partypoker screen name?
Old 04-13-2005, 07:51 PM

If your reads can tell you with a fairly high degree of certainty that:

1) you are not up against Kx clubs or Qx clubs
2) after you call for the second time on the flop the other player will reraise
3) you are not up against a straight flush draw

if all of those are fairly true in your mind then you played correctly.

at first i only had 1 and 2 and thought you played it right (because a read fulfilling both would be quite possible). but after further analysis i had to include 3. i dont believe you could have gotten a read such that you knew all 1, 2, and 3 were correct. as such i think you should fold after the two reraises (after you had only called once on the flop).
Old 04-13-2005, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's your partypoker screen name?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think anyone cares about your poker career. You being young and a winning player doesn't really mean all that much. There are many good teenagers out there. I'm not trying to be mean, but I just don't think anyone will care to be honest.

I make money playing poker... am I a pro?

WACO
Old 04-13-2005, 08:12 PM

Just because you outdrew on one hand doesnt mean you are a pro. Don't get ahead of yourself. Stay in school.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:22 PM

1:

[ QUOTE ]
you have to realize that poker is about gambooling and that the person who currently has the best hand is not "entitled" to winning anything until all 5 cards are shown on the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you have everything under control to me. Why bother asking?

2: Is this a joke? Usually I can tell the satire posts from the serious ones. But yours is right on the line. If it is satire, very nicely done.

cheers,

-muz
Old 04-13-2005, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

at first i only had 1 and 2 and thought you played it right (because a read fulfilling both would be quite possible). but after further analysis i had to include 3. i dont believe you could have gotten a read such that you knew all 1, 2, and 3 were correct. as such i think you should fold after the two reraises (after you had only called once on the flop).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about with #3. The only possible straight flush draws on the flop are the gutshots, 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], and 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Why would I be afraid of these hands being out against me?
Old 04-13-2005, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about with #3. The only possible straight flush draws on the flop are the gutshots, 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], and 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Why would I be afraid of these hands being out against me?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say OESFD just a straight flush draw. I probably should have specified that 3 wouldn't be too much of a problem if you knew that the other player would have something weak like AK. Thats very unlikely though in my mind. I was making my calcs with the assumption that one of them had a set. If one had a set and the other had something like 34cc your equity in the hand isn't enough to stay in.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't say OESFD just a straight flush draw. I probably should have specified that 3 wouldn't be too much of a problem if you knew that the other player would have something weak like AK. Thats very unlikely though in my mind. I was making my calcs with the assumption that one of them had a set. If one had a set and the other had something like 34cc your equity in the hand isn't enough to stay in.

[/ QUOTE ]

The way the hand played out the possibility of someone having one of those 3 goofball hands was close to 0, and even if it was the case that someone did have one of those 3 hands, my equity was still roughly 20% as opposed to the 30% I expected myself to be getting from what was almost surely a set over set for the other two players. I was virtually certain that my flush draw was live because the A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] was on the board and I was also sure about #2. Point #3 is really insignificant because of its low probability of happening and the fact that it only decreases my equity by 10% when it actually does happen.