Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2004, 06:54 PM

Default Want an opinion on this situation

You are playing an online tournament, and you have 1020 in chips. The blinds are 150/300, and you hold AA two off the button. Only one person between the blinds and you calls and has about 1800 in chips, and you raise the minimum to 600, leaving yourself with 420 in chips. The blinds fold, and the original limper calls your minimum raise with KJo. The flop is KJJ, and obviously push all in and get called by KJo and lose. My friend (AA hand) started crying about this loss, and when I told him that if I was the guy with KJo and I already had 300 in the pot and the raise was only 300 more into a pot of 1350 and I was sure it was only gonna be a two way pot its a no brainer call. If you hit a big flop, you can be sure to win all his chips, and if you miss the flop, it was still a cheap call. My friend basically told me that I was a complete idiot and to 'keep playing like that' and see where it gets me. This guy has a huge head because he is a good player and won a WSOP seat, but I think in this situation he is completely wrong. What do you think?

Oh and sorry for the novel of a first post [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2004, 07:04 PM

Default Re: Want an opinion on this situation

The guy with KJo is a total tard for limping up front with that hand in hte first place. It's not clear how many people are left, but limping and then calling the raise is pretty bad poker. Either push pf or fold, don't limp with the stakes so high compaired to stack sizes.

He's a baby and you're wrong. Hopefully these 2 wrongs make a right.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The guy with KJo is a total tard for limping up front with that hand in hte first place. It's not clear how many people are left, but limping and then calling the raise is pretty bad poker. Either push pf or fold, don't limp with the stakes so high compaired to stack sizes.

He's a baby and you're wrong. Hopefully these 2 wrongs make a right.

[/ QUOTE ]

The scenario is moreso not whether that person limps with KJo in that spot, but if he has already got that first 300 in the pot and then has to call 300 more into the 1350 pot. I realize that his initial limp wasnt the brightest of ideas, however I was thinking moreso is it right to call the extra small bet.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:33 PM

With your stack only 3x the BB, you have to go all in.
I dont see anyother play. At least you can steal the
blinds.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:42 PM

AA should be all in pre-flop here 100% of the time. Did your friend give his reasoning for not doing so?
Old 09-23-2004, 07:54 PM

Yeah---Im not being specific enough. I have criticized this friend because I have seen him do that a few times in that spot---come in for a raise that pot commits him no matter what on the flop. I obvious told him that he pushes with that hand 10/10 times on a shortstack. Anyways, when I told him I didnt fault the KJo for calling, I didnt mean as opposed to pushing, I meant as opposed to folding. My friend said that he should have just flat out folded to the minimum raise in a 2 way pot at that point. I just cant agree---its a low stakes tourney, and im getting 4:1 to see a flop with a hand with a lot of possibilities. Granted pushing very well may be a better play, but I think folding in that spot is a worse one.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:15 PM

AA wins 85% of the time against KJ offsuit. Unless for some reason he felt that your friend's weak raise represented AA, KK or JJ it is an easy call and you are right.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:22 PM

I guess I'd never get myself into the situation, but KJo agasint a legitimate raise plays like [censored]. You are out of position and can't like your hand that much when you hit. I'd fold. Then again if it was short I woulda pushed pf and not been in this situation.