Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2004, 11:11 AM

Default Two Microlimit Myths Destroyed

1. There are no great players playing microlimit poker. Wrong. MM has expressed this view in print about lowlimit poker. He too is wrong. People think this because they believe poker is only played for monetary gain. Nope. Some of us are gamblers and some of us are gamers. The gamers tend to be recreational poker players, middle class and knowledgeable. They are not going to turn pro. There lives are much too comfortable for that.

2. You cannot bluff when so little is being played for. Wrong. You can bluff and do so profitably using all the accepted rules of bluffing, ie, you cannot bluff a calling station or a big winner (no irony intended), etc.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Two Microlimit Myths Destroyed

I would never recommend anyone try bluffing in a microlimit internet game.

You do not need to be a pro to play for monetary gain.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:13 PM

You're not going to win a big pot by bluffing, but you can occasionally pick up small pots just by betting in position.

Joe
Old 06-01-2004, 12:28 PM

i wouldnt say you exactly destroyed them. Maybe ruffled their hair a little. Logic, reasoning, statistical evidence, now *that* would create some destruction.

peace

john nickle
Old 06-01-2004, 01:23 PM

As to your first point, I respectfully disagree. I suppose it depends on what you define as "great." There are many good players playing microlimits, and many motivations for playing the game. But a truly great player would become either frustrated with the low hourly rate or with the generally easy and unthinking manner of play that gets the money in these games.

As to your second point, people who claim there is no bluffing in microlimit Internet games are insane. The flop percentages in 0.50-1.00 games are lower (by a lot) and a lot tougher postflop than the $8-16 and $10-20 live games I have been playing in. It's not even close. This means that pots are often shorthanded and there are bluffing opportunities. I suggest there are even frequent bluffing opportunities in a 0.02-0.04 game. The Internet plays much tighter and advanced concepts come into play at a much lower stake than in live game play.

-Michael
Old 06-01-2004, 03:13 PM

I would never recommend anyone try bluffing in a microlimit internet game.

I don't think it should be a common practice, as most low limit players think too many bets are bluff, but you can do it.

$25 buy-in PLO

The turn card gives me a huge draw (wrap draw + flush draw) in a 4-way pot that was checked around on the flop. Checked to me in MP and I bet the pot (about 8 big blinds worth) and get one caller. River is a total brick. No straight or flush possibility. Opponent checks, I realize if I check behind I lose. I can't even beat ace-high. I bet the pot. he folds.

I'm not getting in the habit of this, but it does work once in a while.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:23 PM

it comes from knowing your players, I would say these "myths" are generalities.

But, if you know your players, you can bluff. There are several people I play with regularly, I know they will only bet made trips, straights or flushes.

Therefore, if I I know they are on a set, I can play my baby flush draw against them ,and if a straight hits that misses me, I can get them to laydown the bast hand - this is in PL only of course.