Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 02:59 AM

Default Re: (55) Calling a turn check-raise all-in with an overpair

[ QUOTE ]

so what did he have?

[/ QUOTE ]

King-high fllush. I deserved to lose this one the way I played it. My flop raise was too small. I should have just pushed right there.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But that sucks for tourneys because little mathematical errors don't benefit you nearly as much in a tourney as it does in a cash game. He only risks his buyin, so who cares if he makes a small mistake?

You don't have time to capitalize on small mistakes. Force your opponents to make HUGE ERRORS for their WHOLE STACK.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like this concept. I hadn't really thought about tourneys like that before.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
bleh

That raise sucks.

I think there are two ways to play this man.

1. Shove the flop. If he's got a queen or a flush draw, he makes a huge mistake by calling.

2. Call the flop. wtf could you possibly have if you call the flop after you raised preflop? AK with As? An overpair? HE DOESN'T HAVE A CLUE and will most likely put you on a whiffed AK. So you play him soft here, soft on the turn (just call or check behind) and stack him on the river. Assuming, of course, that you don't think you're beat.

You made a sweet cash game play on the flop. If he's drawing to a flush and has only 9 outs, he's 4-1 against and is only getting 3-1 on the call. But that sucks for tourneys because little mathematical errors don't benefit you nearly as much in a tourney as it does in a cash game. He only risks his buyin, so who cares if he makes a small mistake?

You don't have time to capitalize on small mistakes. Force your opponents to make HUGE ERRORS for their WHOLE STACK.

So you decide on the flop if the guy will call off his stack with a weaker hand. A queen is a lot more likely than a flush draw, you can't just assume the guy lucked out and flopped a draw. So either shove the flop if he'll call with a Q or TT or something like that, and if not, play him soft and just value call him down.

[/ QUOTE ]

no no no

no

1. Shoving this flop is a bad, bad idea. You're only getting called by a set or 2 pair, anyone with half a brain is folding their flush draw or QJ.

2. Calling the flop sucks. You have no idea where you stand in the hand, and you're calling yourself into a possible very bad turn card (Just like this hand!) KK isn't invincible, you def don't want to slow play it, esp on this flop.

As the hand plays out I fold here. Yes it sucks you've only got 400 left but you are drawing very, very slim if not dead.

I play the hand the exact same till the turn. I check behind on the turn and fold to most bets on the river.