Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-18-2005, 11:43 PM

Default deep stack heads up pushes from SB

I originally posted this in MTTs. I think I'd like to hear what the folks here have to say about it. I apologize in advance that it didn't arise from a SNG. Here goes:

I play almost exclusively SNGs. I rarely throw in the odd MTT to break things up (or when I find a reasonable overlay). I decided to take a break tonight and just play MTTs instead.

I find myself heads up in one tournament while the blinds are still very low in comparison to our stacks (well, at least compared to what I'm used to in SNG-land). We have roughly even stacks with about 65 BBs each. This guy has been sitting over me at the final table and straight up outplaying me. I had a pretty good chip lead and he really kept me from running over the table.

Obviously, in the future, my best bet would be to just get some practice heads up and try to outplay him.

For this tournament, I decided to do a lot of all-in pushing from the SB. Can anyone tell me how big an underdog I have to be before it is mathematically correct to push any two from the small blind given that we both have about 65 BBs? The play felt really absurd at the time, but there has to be a point where I'm a significant enough dog to make it right.

Thanks,
Skip
Old 11-19-2005, 12:19 AM

Default Re: deep stack heads up pushes from SB

Do you have a pulse? Then you're probably not a big enough dog.

If you're really that outclassed, something like raising every hand 4x and then pushing almost every flop when called is probably much better.

eastbay