Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 06:35 PM

Default Re: What if you fell 30 ft?

Damn, that's the kind of story that might happen in a dream of mine. Amazing you came out OK.

Swede
Old 10-19-2005, 06:37 PM

Default Re: What if you fell 30 ft? - real video

This clip was sent to me by a customer of my former employer. It was captured on one of our video recorders. Here are his comments:

"If you'd like to see some interesting video captured by your software go to

link

seems that a boyfriend of one of our tenants thought he could jump from the 3rd floor of the building - he was correct however not without apparently painful consequences."

I shortened the video which originally was about 13 minutes long. The rest shows the guy writhing on the ground for a while until the paramedics arrive.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:43 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

That was bad ass.

I rather enjoyed watching the guy go down the middle of the stairwell. Hitting the handrails on his way down.haha

b
Old 10-19-2005, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The other guy was a big guy who landed on his stomach. His stomach hurt a bit after he fell, but didn't break any bones, so he considered himself lucky. A few days later his stomach started to bother him, but he was going through a stressful period, and thought it was just indigestion. The pain persisted, but he refused to go to a doctor. His breath then started to get really bad...it smelled like something had literally died inside him. Actually, something *literally* had -- his stomach had moved and twisted when he'd hit the ground, and had become gangrenous over time. He finally collapsed one day with a massive fever and was rushed to the hospital. They ended up having to remove a good chunk of his stomach to save his life.

[/ QUOTE ]

let me get this straight. the guy jumped off a two story house, landed on his stomach, had stomach issues a few days later, and thought it was stress??

[/ QUOTE ]

He wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. When I asked him about it once he got out of the hospital, he told me that he'd "forgotten that he'd fallen off the roof" when his stomach issues began.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was playing hide and seek with some schoolmates when I was about 7 or 8. There was a cliff behind the school that was about 50 feet in height. There was a small ledge about five feet from the top of the cliff that looked like an unbeatable hiding spot. I walked up the hill until I was above the ledge. I slowly lowered my left leg over the edge until I reached the shelf. In this position my weight was completely centered on my left leg with my right leg still on top well above my hip. As I attempted to move my right leg down I lost my balance and pitched forward. There was a remarkably limbless pine tree about ten feet out from the cliff. My last desperate thought as I peeled from the cliff like a flying squirrel was to push off in an attempt to catch the tree. Unfortunately, when I got to the tree I had already fallen about ten feet and was moving way to fast to hold on. I gave it my best bear hug but mostly just slid/bounced off slowly rotating backwards. The ground beneath the cliff was fairly soft grassless soil covered in pine needles. I landed flat on my back and the air in my lungs exited violently leaving me gasping like a fish on the bank of a river. I was absolutely unhurt. I believe the tree, although removing a large portion of the skin on my arms, actually slowed me down enough that in combination with the relatively soft ground and the sheer stupid luck and flexibility of a young boy landing perfectly flat on my back, arms out to my side, saved me from injury. Unfortunately, I was expelled from that school the next day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you get expelled for the fall?

-blake
Old 10-19-2005, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This clip was sent to me by a customer of my former employer. It was captured on one of our video recorders. Here are his comments:

link

seems that a boyfriend of one of our tenants thought he could jump from the 3rd floor of the building - he was correct however not without apparently painful consequences."

I shortened the video which originally was about 13 minutes long. The rest shows the guy writhing on the ground for a while until the paramedics arrive.

[/ QUOTE ]

The girlfriend should have went to check on him.

-blake
Old 10-19-2005, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Haven't you seen the Parkour guys? They land on their feet from three story jumps. Incredible stuff. Wish I still had the link of one of their videos I saw. Maybe I can dig it up. It's from a French movie released this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those guys are amazing, I think im gonna go practice this skill.

-blake
Old 10-19-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

link

[/ QUOTE ]

The girlfriend should have went to check on him.

[/ QUOTE ]

She does. Did you watch it all?
Old 10-19-2005, 06:59 PM

So this cliff was in the schoolyard? And it wasn't fenced? And they expelled you for acting like a kid and screwing around on it?

These days the school would be kissing the kid's ass, and the kid's parents' asses, for fear of getting sued.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thirty feet is enough to break legs but not much more if you land on your feet, trying to roll down to your side to slow the fall some. Trying to land on your back or side would be a good way to break your back I'd think.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

that's what i would think....that a well timed ballup/roll might be able to deflect some of the force...but who knows....blarg? jake?

[/ QUOTE ]

I crashed into a truck on my bike at about 30 MPH or so, flipped up over the top, and did a standard jiu jitsu front roll, guiding myself with my hand, tucking in and then rolling. I rolled up onto one foot and was standing on my feet when it was done. But the force of the quick spin plus the speed it was started at was tremendous, and the foot I came up on coming out of the roll hit the ground pretty hard, and the outside of my knee was really sore too. My bike was snapped completely in half, though, so I did better than it did.

I don't really know what the best way to do it would be, but I think it would take a great deal of training not to get seriously hurt, or just some kind of great luck and innate athleticism and strong bones and joints. Apparently, from seeing the Parkour videos, you can jump from some staggering heights if you're trained well and be fine, landing on your feet. I think if I had forward momentum, I'd go into a roll, and if I didn't, I'd try landing on my feet. I've often thought it would be better to land on my back, because I can fall extraordinarily well on my back. But the thing is, having a feel for where your body should be when your back is only a few feet from the ground is much different than when it's 30 feet from the ground. And the way you would fall would be different too. I think landing on your back instead of accidentally on your shoulder, head, or neck would be pretty tricky, and catastrophic if it goes wrong. I think I'd rather have my legs shattered than have my head knocked off my neck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the same as you at first. I took jiu jitsu and judo which relate. landing on your back with palms down helps increase surface area and spreads the blow out.
I think this is more for when you can't land on your feet, and I agree that it would be hard to time this falling as quickly as you would be.

To assist in the discussion a bit.

30ft is about 9meters.

Which means you would be traveling about 13m/s on at impact.

Which is about 29 miles per hour.

You would fall for about 1.3 seconds.

-blake