Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Re: \"as long as you feel it should be\"

I'm a teacher...and I'm sorry.

But what your teacher is looking for (I think) is a concise yet complete answer to the prompt. Answer in complete sentences. If you can answer in a paragraph, do it. If you think it requires more exposition, 2 pages double-spaced max. No fluff, no BS. Nobody wants to read a long-winded, meandering treatise...especially if they've assigned 8 questions for homework.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:58 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
I'm a teacher...and I'm sorry.

But what your teacher is looking for (I think) is a concise yet complete answer to the prompt. Answer in complete sentences. If you can answer in a paragraph, do it. If you think it requires more exposition, 2 pages double-spaced max. No fluff, no BS. Nobody wants to read a long-winded, meandering treatise...especially if they've assigned 8 questions for homework.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. I try to do this but I just really lack the vocabulary to express things in their simplest form. Here is an example:

I'm trying to turn this
Burr subsequently wrote a letter to Hamilton in which he asked him to explain himself. Hamilton, instead of trying to end it right then and there, went on the offensive and opened up a whole can of worms. Hamilton had implied that he could not remember everything said over “the course of a fifteen year competition.” This caused Burr to claim that Hamilton had been slanderous towards him over their entire career. Burr then went so far as to escalate the stakes by demanding an outright apology for everything Hamilton had said about him in his career.

[/ QUOTE ]

into something shorter and this is what I have so far:
Burr subsequently wrote a letter to Hamilton in which he asked Hamilton to explain himself, which started off a correspondence of...

[/ QUOTE ]

and I really just can't find a way to represent my thoughts. They're continually escalating the stakes of the correspondence with Burr's want for Hamilton to apologize, yet Hamilton won't do what he wants and at the same time is a jackass to Burr (being demeaning). I have 8 days left to work on this so I think I'll be alright but it's certainly frusturating in the short-term.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:08 PM

This is a natural stage in the development of a writer. You have the technique and a decent vocabulary. Now, you are struggling w/ precision.

Don't sweat it, young blood. It's frustrating but every educated person goes through it.

Do you really need to give a blowbyblow account of how it all went down. What about a summary. How about something like "The correspondence between Burr and Hamilton begin to sour because of the grandiose egos of the two men (or something). Burr wanted [this] while Hamilton wanted [this] and neither party would budge."
Old 09-03-2005, 06:15 PM

Thanks.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:18 PM

Burr responded to Hamilton asking him to explain himself, which prompted a spiraling escalation of each man's percieved grievances. In each response the scope of the issue widened eventually leading to Burr demanding an outright apology for everything hamilton had said about him in his career.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:19 PM

Burr responded to Hamilton asking him to explain himself, which prompted a spiraling escalation of each man's percieved grievances. In each response the scope of the issue widened eventually leading to Burr demanding an outright apology for everything hamilton had said about him in his career.

[/ QUOTE ]

You, sir, have just made my life much easier. Thanks.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:20 PM

anytime.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:22 PM

god i love boobs. boobs boobs boobs