Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2005, 06:01 PM

Default RIAA + I2hub settlement deal

so just got off the phone w/ the settlement ppl. I did not agree to settle yet, but here's the information I got from them.

Right now I am classified as a "John Doe -- under 2500 shares" which corresponds to a settlement amount of $3,750. If I don't settle before Aug. 12th, my classification jumps up to "Named -- under 2500 shares" and the settlement amount becomes $4,500.

There's the meat of it. :-(

minor details: once you decide to settle, they send you 2 forms for the settlement which layout dates to pay by, credit card authorization forms, agreement to never do it again and to destroy your current collection of mp3s, etc. Then he asked, "so, do we have a settlement?", to which I replied, "no, I still need to go over the forms with my lawyer before I make a decision." He said they could send me a blank one with just the paragraphs...nothing about dates and amounts and anything important. That sounds kinda fuked up, so I was told him to go ahead and send me the blank ones and I'll see what's there, talk to my lawyer, and get back to you sometime next week.

So basically, I'm going to have to pay $3750 before Aug 11.

- Tron
([censored] them, I'm never going to pay for another CD again. Binary newsgroups boooooo yah)

Old 07-22-2005, 06:03 PM

Default Re: RIAA + I2hub settlement deal

one thing that kinda sucks is that I only downloaded about 50 songs using i2Hub, but I had well over 4000 in my collection from freshman-junior year.

bahhhh, there goes the bank roll [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
guess its time to give up poker anyways, as I'll be graduating in December and need to start looking for a job and finishing my last semester at school.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:09 PM

Man that [censored]-ing sucks.

Did you try a counter offer of like $2500?
Old 07-22-2005, 06:23 PM

I vaguely remember the story. How did you get caught again?
Old 07-23-2005, 12:24 PM

bump

would like to know how u got caught, and also these comics r great.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:41 PM

I wouldn't give them a goddamn cent.

I'm serious. I will take my chances with whatever, but I wouldn't pay that money.

They're basically taking advantage of the fact that people are going to get scared and pay up when really their case isn't going to hold up in court if you fight well.

If you really respect yourself you won't pay them.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They're basically taking advantage of the fact that people are going to get scared and pay up when really their case isn't going to hold up in court if you fight well.

[/ QUOTE ]

And how much do you think this magical lawyer is going to cost you? Zero dollars?
Old 07-23-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And how much do you think this magical lawyer is going to cost you? Zero dollars?

[/ QUOTE ]

I recognize this part of the equation.

It definitely seems to me that just bending over and grabbing the ankles is a bad play. Even if I have to sacrifice some $EV (depending on how much it is) it might be worth it to stand up for myself.

Of course, a more detailed analysis might come up with the best solution easily being just pay them, but this just doesn't seem right to me intuitively. Maybe it's the case though.

But I will need more to convince me than "lol lawyers aren't free".
Old 07-23-2005, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It definitely seems to me that just bending over and grabbing the ankles is a bad play. Even if I have to sacrifice some $EV (depending on how much it is) it might be worth it to stand up for myself.

Of course, a more detailed analysis might come up with the best solution easily being just pay them, but this just doesn't seem right to me intuitively. Maybe it's the case though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't go out and get any price quotes, but its most likely going to cost just the same if not more than the $4g settlement. Also, that doesn't even guarantee a victory in which case I will have to pay the RIAA a larger fine and lawyer fees. I could get mathematical on it estimating probability of victory and cost of lawyer, but its just not worth it.

Besides by settling, its over and done with and I won't have it constantly lurking in the back of my mind. I swear to god I couldn't sleep more than 1 or 2 hours a night for the first 2 weeks or so after I found out I was on the list.

BACKGROUND: I go caught sharing files on i2hub. dumb of me, but I felt it was safe and didn't look into it as much as I should have.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't go out and get any price quotes, but its most likely going to cost just the same if not more than the $4g settlement. Also, that doesn't even guarantee a victory in which case I will have to pay the RIAA a larger fine and lawyer fees. I could get mathematical on it estimating probability of victory and cost of lawyer, but its just not worth it.

Besides by settling, its over and done with and I won't have it constantly lurking in the back of my mind. I swear to god I couldn't sleep more than 1 or 2 hours a night for the first 2 weeks or so after I found out I was on the list.

BACKGROUND: I go caught sharing files on i2hub. dumb of me, but I felt it was safe and didn't look into it as much as I should have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically, I think its +EV to settle. Oh, and no, there was no negotiating the settlement price. So if anyone feels sorry for me, you can PM and donate money into my party account (which will be sadly drained to pay the man off)