Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-30-2005, 06:50 AM

Default Missed river value bet

Villain is TAGish, 14/7/2

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (8 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: (10 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks.

Final Pot: 10 BB
Old 12-30-2005, 06:53 AM

Default Re: Missed river value bet

super easy bet. Villain could have AQ, 99, TT, AJ, AT
Old 12-30-2005, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not. Your range is too small.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not. Your range is too small

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously villain could have more hands than that. I think it's a bet/fold. I mean that those are possible/likely hands that villain could have that he might call with and loose.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's not. Your range is too small

[/ QUOTE ]
Obviously villain could have more hands than that. I think it's a bet/fold. I mean that those are possible/likely hands that villain could have that he might call with and loose.

[/ QUOTE ]
A TAG Villian would have to view Hero as a maniac to be calling down here with A-high.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, but AQ, AJ, and AT are not calling you, so your bet is worthless. AK is raising you and you have to call. I am not saying that you should not bet, but it's NOT a super easy bet.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:53 AM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

i think there is very thin value in a bet on the river against some opponents. the thing is you run into the "with what worse hands will they call?" scenario. A-high is not calling. so he would likely need a smaller pocket pair that is not a passively played set or straight, and i don't see AK folding this river frequently enough to show profit. he may have the Adw/broadway or some such hand with a high diamond in it like KQ, etc. but that will call the river. i think when called you are behind most every time, and otherwise they fold except for a couple combos. i could be wrong, but this is my thinking here. i think the check is fine.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:16 PM

Ace high will call most of the time. He's gone this far and it'd be a 11 bb pot.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:26 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

[ QUOTE ]
Ace high will call most of the time. He's gone this far and it'd be a 11 bb pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

if he has an Ace it is likely a diamond and i think you are overestimating the number of times he calls. so what does he think you have, a worse Ace? no, no. one thing i would like about a river bet is it would be pretty sweet to fold QQ. i still don't know if the likelihood of that scenario would swing it to be valueable. how villain views hero would be a big factor in calling with A-high, so that must be considered. i still think mostly better hands will call in a vacuum, but given how they view each other could swing it the other way.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:29 PM

Every single better hand will call you 100% of the time so there's no point even considering that they'd fold to one extra bet.

The only way Ace high doesn't call here is if he has a very good read on hero, which he may have. (Or if it's a weak ace)