Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 08-01-2005, 11:47 AM

Default Failure

If Albert Einstein passed elementary math, we wouldn't have the theory of relativity.

I was lying in bed the other night contemplating my last session and thinking about all of the bonehead donkish plays I made. I found some places where I missed bets, where I made a bad read, where I acted like a donkey. I've been beating 1/2 on many different sites for almost a year now and I'm still amazed at the idiot plays I still make from time to time. I've also noticed that with each failed hand, I learn another way not to play. I'm convinced that my successes at poker (although very modest) are a direct correlation to acknowledge all the failures I've had and to attempt to never repeat them.

I don't think I'd be half as good as I am now if I started off winning and crushing the game. So the real point of this post is to ask... does anyone feel the same way?

I've seen friends start off incredibly well only to crash and burn because they don't wanna see their mistakes. I need the mistakes. If I'm not making them, I feel like I'm playing in the wrong game. Like I need to move up a limit. Don't get me wrong, I don't try to fail. When I play, I play to win, but I've found that part of winning is taking your beats.

That's all I've got for now... discuss if you'd like.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Failure

You learn more from failures than from successes. But you have to be willing to admit your mistakes and take steps to improve your game.

I think they main reason that most poker players lose in the long run is their inability/unwillingness to admit their mistakes.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:11 PM

well put. Im currently teaching a new player. He is a winning player now, but when i tell him (over AIM which is a bitch) things he did wrong in a hand he gets all defensive. He tries to explain why he did what he did, despite me already telling him why it is not as good as other options. its really annoying.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:29 PM

In one respect, poker is a lot like chess. An expert chess player learns, after years and years of study and practise, to recognize familiar piece configurations. In chess you try to transform from one favorable configuration to another more favorable one.

Instead of piece configurations, in poker you need to recognize favorable situations. The more favorable situations you are able to recognize, the better you will play.

A newbie recognizes almost nothing. The more you read, play, study, and discuss by posting and replying, the more you build up the "store" of favorabale situations you recognize. The more you recognize the better you play.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A newbie recognizes almost nothing. The more you read, play, study, and discuss by posting and replying, the more you build up the "store" of favorabale situations you recognize. The more you recognize the better you play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, you sure stated that well IMHO! I would like to add (as one with only a year under his belt) that you also make $ by the "store" of UNfavorable situations and recognizing when to sidestep them.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've also noticed that with each failed hand, I learn another way not to play. I'm convinced that my successes at poker (although very modest) are a direct correlation to acknowledge all the failures I've had and to attempt to never repeat them.

I don't think I'd be half as good as I am now if I started off winning and crushing the game. So the real point of this post is to ask... does anyone feel the same way?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely.