Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 11:34 AM

Default AKsooted UTG rag flop PL

2-5 PL

the game plays bigger than the blinds indicate...much bigger. routinely over 15K on the table, and a $20 straddle on the button.

I raise AK sooted [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]'s UTG to $35, folds around to CO who cold calls, as does the button. ( no straddle this time )

Flop

7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet $65 CO thinks and thinks, then calls, button ponders momentarily and calls.

River 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check, CO bets $150 (he has about $600 behind and I cover)
button folds.

I start to wonder if he's flopped a set of sevens or if he has two overs and a club draw.....He seems to play pocket pairs VERY aggressively in most pots. I dont think he re-raises me on the flop because he has position and wants to see what the button is going to do. I dont know if he's capable of laying down 99 here, like, ever, though.

I fold.

I dont like the way I played this hand, and would probably rather have limp re-raised in this spot with AK sooted.

thoughts?

Tex
Old 12-14-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Re: AKsooted UTG rag flop PL

Bet a little more on the flop. Otherwise you played it well. AKs is not a good hand to limp-reraise with imo.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:41 AM

Pretty standard. You don't have anything and two people have called you. Headsup, you could argue that firing again on the turn is a good idea to push out a small pocket pair but there's no need to try and strongarm multiple opponents. Villain smooth called on the flop with a guy behind him and is now firing into two people on the turn-- I don't think there's anything he's laying down here and there's a ton of money behind to force you to make a big decision on the river (calling with A-high vs. his busted draw for example).

Limp/reraising is a viable option with AKs but I tend to shy away from it because I don't want to play a huge pot OOP unless I know my opponents very well. If you do, go for it.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:44 AM

Seems pretty basic. Check fold this flop, bet fold, or 2 barrel bluff. I like bet fold best.