Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 05-25-2005, 01:15 AM

Default The best advice I\'ve ever gotten

All this talk about moving up and playing higher and higher has reminded me of the best advice that I've ever gotten. It was told to me by a famous poker player who shall remain anonymous, but I'll give him the nickname "Old Man From Montana."

OMFM always says, "Sucker, play bigger when you're winning, and smaller when you're not. Don't commit to any limit or game. When you're winning, play big, but when you lose a bit, go back to what you know. That's how you get the money... and keep it."

That dude is pretty smart. I figured I'd pass it along to everyone.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:24 AM

Default Re: The best advice I\'ve ever gotten

That's how I play online. Timing isn't always right, but it's easy on the BR. Must be nice having a direct line to the mountains, huh?
Old 05-25-2005, 02:45 AM

This is strikingly similar to the mike l strategy of "when running good, buy a house, then you can't piss it away when running bad". OMFM and mike l might have more in common than we had ever dreamed possible.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is strikingly similar to the mike l strategy of "when running good, buy a house, then you can't piss it away when running bad". OMFM and mike l might have more in common than we had ever dreamed possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't you ever see 'Big hand for a little lady'?
Old 05-25-2005, 08:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I never saw this advice before but that is by far the best advice I have ever heard. Thanks.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:26 AM

Default I hope you are not serious

This is very poor advice. It makes as much sense as playing some rag when you are supposedly on a rush. What has happened in the last hand or sessions(s) had no bearing on what will happen in the future. Sure, we all play better when we are winning as we are psychologiaclly on our A games, but statistically there is no way to determine form past results if any streak we are on will continue into the next session. I respect your posts but this one is voodoo poker.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:35 AM

Default Re: I hope you are not serious

I think when you are moving up in stakes you are going to have a very tough time working out which players are great and which players are idiots.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is very poor advice. It makes as much sense as playing some rag when you are supposedly on a rush. What has happened in the last hand or sessions(s) had no bearing on what will happen in the future. Sure, we all play better when we are winning as we are psychologiaclly on our A games, but statistically there is no way to determine form past results if any streak we are on will continue into the next session. I respect your posts but this one is voodoo poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

These comments are correct assuming you are dealing with emotionless human beings. Sucker's advice is based on the assumption that you are not emotionless, that you are capable of tilting (to whatever degree), and that money management is real, not theoretical. If these assumptions are correct, and they are with me, the advice is sound. If, on the other hand, you are robotic by nature and past results have no effect on your current or future behavior, Sucker's advice is admittedly meaningless and useless. I, unfortunately, do not fall into this category.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:31 PM

My post has serious implications even if you DON'T tilt and are pretty much emotionless.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:32 PM

Scary, huh? They are both pretty funny guys, though.