Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 12:57 AM

Default Re: 400-800 hand

my point was that this is such a no-brainer that even an idiot like you could come up with the right answer.

now scoot on back to your 3-6 game.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:58 AM

not me. I don't like it here. I just came to town to play the big one.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:09 AM

How convenient that you choose to agree with my answer after I posted it before commiting to any opinion of your own.

Maybe if the oppopnent was unknown this would be a no brainer but the fact that it is against a specific person makes it at least semi-interesting.

I remmeber a few years ago when I would look forward to reading your posts. Back then they were actually constructive. How sad it is to see you fall so low.

Come take a shot at the 400-800 mix game sometime this week. Maybe after being knocked down a few pegs you'll see the error of your ways.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:28 AM

hi bruce

no, not a good fold. your action closes but it's more an issue of having to call because of how you played the hand. your opponent knows that you have something like TT or JJ, possibly AQ. he also thinks that you think he thinks you have something like that, even if he is holding AQ or TT or JJ. if you fold, you are telling him that you will release a reasonable hand heads-up and that would be very bad for your session. when you factor in the possibility that he might be trying to get you to fold when he betsout like that, and not call, a little weaker than JJ and you can start considering whether or not to check-raise. but your JJ can stand a showdown.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:40 AM

Default One thing I want to add

I'm not sure why most people that responded have the impression that I was letting John blow me off my hands. In fact, the opposite was probably more true for the session. I was probably calling him down too much on the river (and he was doing a good job of value betting).

Many of our hands throughout the night had me leading on the flop w/ the best hand, leading the turn, and check-calling the river w/ a hand that was no good by that point. Its just sort of the way things were going last night, and I'm sure in almost all of my hands John thought I was checking the river w/ the intention of calling. Because of the many hands we played against each other throughout the night, John would be crazy to think that my river check in this hand meant there was a good chance I was folding to a bet.

So w/ a little more background, is folding still so bad?
Old 07-07-2005, 02:55 AM

Default Re: One thing I want to add

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure why most people that responded have the impression that I was letting John blow me off my hands. In fact, the opposite was probably more true for the session. I was probably calling him down too much on the river (and he was doing a good job of value betting).

Many of our hands throughout the night had me leading on the flop w/ the best hand, leading the turn, and check-calling the river w/ a hand that was no good by that point. Its just sort of the way things were going last night, and I'm sure in almost all of my hands John thought I was checking the river w/ the intention of calling. Because of the many hands we played against each other throughout the night, John would be crazy to think that my river check in this hand meant there was a good chance I was folding to a bet.

So w/ a little more background, is folding still so bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

Checking and calling a lot on the river after leading flop and turn is not a good thing. You allow him to play his hand perfectly on the river when you do that.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:19 AM

there is one other option which is to checkraise the river when he bets. the main benefit might be he will now dump a Q or even a weak K rather than tolerate the embarassment of calling one more bet having been played so badly. since the player is a young hot shot type who might pride himself in how good he plays this has an extra chance of working. and even if he does call (presumably with a better hand, but who knows sometimes maybe not) the whole table now sees that youve made a crude strange play that will make an impression on them and serve to confuse them on later hands.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:28 AM

Snakehead what is your problem lately? You must be running real real bad, because your attitude is consistently negative. I remember u taking a shot online a few months back. I played with you a bunch. Havent seen u in those games lately so I assume u arent able to win on there. Now u are taking a shot at posters who u have NO CLUE ABOUT. EZCheeze is one of the best young poker players out there today. Besides that he is a real good guy who is impossible not to like. He has blitzed through the limits and now plays big mixed games and beats them. He also has some very impressive tournament results (2nd in a WSOP event this year). I would take EZCheeze's action any day over yours Snakehead and I would read anything he posts too over the negativity that you spew around these days. 2 years ago when I was moving up the limits and religously reading Mid/High u were a good poster, it is kind of sad what has happened.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
there is one other option which is to checkraise the river when he bets. the main benefit might be he will now dump a Q or even a weak K rather than tolerate the embarassment of calling one more bet having been played so badly. since the player is a young hot shot type who might pride himself in how good he plays this has an extra chance of working. and even if he does call (presumably with a better hand, but who knows sometimes maybe not) the whole table now sees that youve made a crude strange play that will make an impression on them and serve to confuse them on later hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post.

I like this line or even just betting better than check/calling or check/folding in this spot.

The way the hand played out, when you check the river, he (and everyone else at the table) knows damn near exactly what you have. Whether you call or fold afterwards is really pretty immaterial after you get to this point.

I think a check/call or a check/fold in this spot does some serious damage to your image/meta-game.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:04 AM

It's called ego brother. Some it hits harder than others.

PokerPrince