i'm so buying a cap gun tomorrow...
Old 07-13-2005, 07:29 AM

Default Re: Would you play russian roulette

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This guy is a moderator? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

nice 18th post, now go back in your hole.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's 100% spot-on, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

no. you don't get to be spot-on with 18 posts. just die.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:33 AM

Sklansky covered the reasons why it's not a good idea to wager your life on anything in "Poker, Gaming, and Life" (I think).
Old 07-13-2005, 07:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

There must be some point at which you'd say, "[censored] it! What are the chances I die? Gimme that gun." Then I think you'd owe your family an explanation for why you passed up a free 10 million dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was twenty I probably would have done it. I'm over fourty now and I guess that changes the perspective. I sure could use 10 Mio $ (I could also use a 2 FP2001) but I don't need to have it.

I do not think that I owed my family an explanation why I passed up 10 Mio$. On the other hand, I'd be scared to death if my son knew that I played Russian Roulette for money.

Sorry for being such a bore.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:41 AM

i would play it for one dollar.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:23 AM

I'm not sure.

To those saying "never, for no amount of money, despite the odds".. I propose this:

Two identical boards, 5' by 5' in size are given to you and one other guy. You each go to seperate places and drill a half-inch diameter hole directly through the board in a random spot of your choosing. Boards are stacked on top of each other, and a peg that is the same diameter as the drill hole is put through the top hole, if it falls through to the ground, you get axed, if not, you get one billion dollars.... Do you refuse the offer?

(Obviously, this is a stupid example, but the odds have to be around a billion to one that you'd both randomly drill a hole in the exact same spot.)
Old 07-13-2005, 08:39 AM

No. Your life is worth an infinite amount of money. No dollar amount at any odds makes it worth risking.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No. Your life is worth an infinite amount of money. No dollar amount at any odds makes it worth risking.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's easy to make this claim, but do people actually behave like that?

Do some research on your odds of dying by driving 3000 miles on a highway compared to your odds of dying by taking other means of transportation. Then see if you can explain why ANYONE would choose to drive.

The simple truth is that everyday people do things which increase their chances of dying for no good reason: People ride roller coasters, people travel by car rather than the alternatives (and then they speed, talk on their cell phone, run red lights, etc), people walk up to the edge of the Grand Canyon, people do drugs...

I very much doubt that anyone can honestly say that they have never done any activity which has increased their chance of immediate death by some amount.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:18 AM

"No. Your life is worth an infinite amount of money. No dollar amount at any odds makes it worth risking"

Okay, so how about every asset you own, as well as every asset of every family member and friend you have talked to within the past five years is going to be taken unless you play Russian roulette. Do you play? Remember that no dollar amount is worth playing.

-Michael
Old 07-13-2005, 09:21 AM

Are we talking 1 in 6?

Gambling theory is all nice and warm but I'm not playing this game an infinite amount of times. That would be guaranteed death. I'm playing once. After I win I don't need anymore: utility. I want my money. 10 mil is enough for me not to have to worry about working for life or at least until somebody gets nuked and then the world sucks anyways. Work sucks bad. This is a nobrainer for me. It might not be for others and that's fine, but any effort to use a reasoned philosophical argument to dissuade me from taking this offer is misplaced.

Half-drunk people, please don't hit me too hard.

-Michael