Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 12-28-2005, 10:18 AM

Default Backing and collusion in tournaments

ESPN article

Is it possible to end players backing each other in the same tournament? Is it like team racing or something entirely different? Thoughts?

EDIT: This kinda reminds me of the chess world dealing with the "Grandmaster draw" where players in prize contention would agree to a quick draw in the last round to ensure a certain share of the prize money, instead of playing a contentious game. Solutions have been creative, from not allowing games shorter than fifty moves to awarding more money for hard-fought games in the last round.

ScottieK
Old 12-28-2005, 03:55 PM

Default Re: Backing and collusion in tournaments

[ QUOTE ]

Is it possible to end players backing each other in the same tournament?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. If you prohibit it, the only players who will stop backing are the players who would not let the backing affect their play anyway. (When backing is outlawed, only outlaws will be backing.)

Detecting collusion is very hard unless it happens at a TV table, where officials can see the hole cards. If you collude and muck your hand, it's very difficult to detect. The idea of reviewing suspect hands in a big tournament is probably workable, but would add to the time and expense of putting on an event.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:34 PM

It happens all the time..its more slow playing...
Old 12-29-2005, 12:02 PM

It would be nice if there were some disclosure at the start of the tournament. If you had a larger precentage than say 10% of anyone then you would have to disclose it before the tournament started.

Another idea would be to have percentages cancelled if the players involved end up at the same table once a certain point is reached in the tournament (money bubble for example).

The main issue for me is disclosure. I want to know exactly who I am playing against at the table.