Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2005, 09:38 PM

Default 11r 45k Gaur Stars Last Night, What to do when M is less than 3?

So last night as I broke through the bubble I found myself with an M a little over 2. I know the answer to my dilemma might lie in, I should have been pushing way before this point, but sadly I was either card dead, or when I did get a marginal hand, someone had already opened up the the pot preflop. SO my final Hand is folded around to me in CO+1 and I have K2o.
Question? If you know you are going to get called, is it better to just call and push on any flop and try to make your hand seem way stronger than it really is?
Old 12-23-2005, 09:41 PM

Default Re: 11r 45k Gaur Stars Last Night, What to do when M is less than 3?

No, you don't limp preflop when you have an m of 2. Please read the anthology and/or HOH.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:43 PM

I have read these books, so I completely understand those theories. However, If I know that they will not fold, then doesnt HOH go out the window? My question has to do with trying to make a play with a stack less than 2 and how effective it is/might be.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:44 PM

I don't even get what you want to understand.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:44 PM

Well, you're probably not going to be able to push any flop if you do that because you're gonna have position on everyone cept the button, so I don't think that's a wise choice since others can bet out and you'll be stuck.. plus just calling is bad imo because you can play in a 4 way pot potentially..

In this situation with your M, position is more important than your cards so just push, simplest move is likely the best here..

If your M is a little over 2, and there's antes, you still have a little FE, or if the BB wants to take a shot, if you get called hopefully your cards are live and you're up against one person.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:52 PM

Alright, I guess I have a hard time expressing my thoughts into words. I was thinking, when another player sees a small stack limp when he has an M less than 3, does that player put the small stack on having a premium hand that wants action? So, if the BB and SB both call/ they would have to hit the flop in order to be able to call the small stacks push, which would happen on any flop. So if overs hit, and the small stack bets whatever he has left, does the small stacks chances of taking down the pot increase, as opposed to just pushing preflop?
The counter to my arguement I suppose is that we want position, and try to limit the number of players we are up against, ie, getting it down to headsup where our cards maybe live. I think Marwan helped me a little, I am just thinking about if there are any other possibilities or moves a small stack can do, trying to survive.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:56 PM

Your move relies heavily on a lot of assumptions to work. a.)CO and Button fold
b.) SB and BB miss the flop
c.) They check to you
d.) They fold to your all-in.

Pushing gets it down to: You push, they fold or there's one caller.

The problem is, even if SB and BB are suspicious of you limping in and give you credit for a big hand, they're going to probably call you if they have any draw or a little piece of the flop because you don't have enough chips to really push them off of anything.. if I had like bottom pair and was getting good odds on my money i'd still call your bet.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:58 PM

I see I see. Ok, thanks for the help. BTW I pushed preflop anyway, just wanted to see if I had options.