Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 10:27 AM

Default Re: King Yao Starting Hand Chart

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There are numberous versions of Ed Miller's starting hand charts out there, in both PDF and Excel format.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's news to me.

MM

[/ QUOTE ]

Particularly if the chart is reformatted, there is no way 2p2 can assert copyright ownership. You guys own the expression of the idea, but if somebody takes the idea and changes its expression (i.e., reformatting into a better, more readable/memorizable chart), you have no intellectual property rights to the new chart.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:49 PM

I just made my own chart up based on Yao's recommendation and similar to the colorized Miller SSHE excel chart you can find links to on this board. Don't use it as much now as I did a couple of months ago. Got a better feel from playing several K hands. Only reference it now and then. You can make your own fairly quickly.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We don't appreciate that our copyrighted material be reproduced for commercial purposes, and we take this seriously when it does happen.

MM

[/ QUOTE ]

I in no way suggested any commercial use in my initial request. The chart I made, as well as the ones I downloaded, gave reference as to where the ideas came from, giving full credit to Miller et. al.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Surely a King would not mind!

[/ QUOTE ]
nicely done
Old 12-14-2005, 09:18 AM

Just to put the copyright issue to bed, COPYING a SUBSTANTIAL part of a work in which copyright subsists would infringe copyright. The so-called "Miller Charts" floating about do not look like anything found in SSHE. They are someone else's representation of the information found in SSHE (and attract copyright in their own right). As correctly pointed out by others, copyright does not protect information per se, only the expression of that information. Where tabulations of data are concerned, the threshhold for infringing copyright is in fact quite high.

Thus, you are free to use the info in Yao's book to create your own chart, just don't copy his chart!