Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-10-2005, 04:36 PM

Default Calling raises with dominated hands

This is one of the first things you learn NOT to do, because of the "horror" scenario where you are outkicked and drawing to 3 outs if they are good. I think this overrated in general because the probability that you share a card and that card hits is small. If if it does hit, it's not really a "horror" scenario because you only have one pair each and none of you are interested in a really big pot.

Against LAGs in 6max i almost find this concept to be misguiding.. If someone is raising 15%-20% of their hands (This means they could be raising any PP, SCs Axs, KQ-KT) I feel pretty good about my KQ, especially if I have position..

Calling with KQ and AJ against LAGs in 6 max when you have position, good or bad?

edit: I know many like to call raises with SCs and small pairs because of implied odds. Against LAGs I find it almost to be reversed.. your small pairs and SCs are not likely to get paid of because he might very well have SCs or low PPs himself. Against this player I like broadway cards better, looking to play small to medium sized pots.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Calling raises with dominated hands

I think calling is fine against lag's but you have to also be aware of the fact that sometimes you will be dominated and the lag will stack you. Hands like KQ usually either win small pots or lose large ones so they aren't very profitable.

Also even though it's "mathematically " small that you are dominated, you have to understand that when it does you will lose a good amount of money. To me it is similar to the differences between suited and nonsuited cards; mathematically you are only gaining around 2-3% equity but they are still valued because when they hit you get paid.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:50 PM

Just as one thing is clear, I am not putting my stack in there with just a pair of queens or kings.. My general plan against LAG is to call their CB when I hit most of the time, sometimes raise if the board calls for it. And sometimes raise with nothing as I know they are often FOS anyway. On the turn often check behind and then call his bluff or bet with some smaller pair (because villain just can't stand to give up initiative in a hand ) on the river. Obviously I will be beaten some % of the time, and sometimes villain will bet big on the turn causing me to pause, then usually fold and take a little note.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:39 PM

against good lags, calling with dominated hands leads to even more trouble.

against bad ones, it's fine.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:43 PM

I fold AQo,AJo,AJs,KQs,KQo to a raise. I raise with them all in almost any position provided theres no raise in front of me. I will call a raise with AQs or better.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:06 PM

Its fine. Against LAGs you want to play more hands, especially with position. I think KQ+, AJ+ and such are fine hands to take a flop with. Reraise stuff like 78s in position too.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I fold AQo,AJo,AJs,KQs,KQo to a raise. I raise with them all in almost any position provided theres no raise in front of me. I will call a raise with AQs or better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats cause ur a bitch. Only bitches fold AQ with position in six max.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thats cause ur a bitch.

[/ QUOTE ]
Uncalled for, bitch.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats cause ur a bitch. Only bitches fold AQ with position in six max.

[/ QUOTE ]

This made me laugh [censored] hard. I love random hostility.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:40 AM

Can you explain your reasoning here a little more? Ofcourse the good LAG will play better which is worse for me, but he still won't have very good hands and he is OOP. Can you give an example of a bad situation that might arise, or how the good LAG will outplay me?