Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-09-2005, 05:13 PM

Default OK... I\'m thouroughly confused.

I'm confused as to why everyone has different definitions of the playstyles. TAG has almost become a word synonimous with bad play (nut peddling), poor post-flop play, and a person who can be bullied out of each and every pot.

Throughout my tenure at 2+2 TAG has always been the "premier" playstyle. A playstyle to ensure the highest earnings up until the highest level of play where players can adapt. Only then did players have to change the playstyle to counter their opponents.

Since when did TAG turn into the weak/tight, ineffective playstyle you guys portray it as?
I agree a Tight Aggressive player will be folding far too often in a 6max game, but this is a forum for full ring & 6 max.

I just want to know where all this misconception has come in, I don't think you guys realize what a LAG is.
A LAG is someone with a very large VPIP and PFR % who spews chips, I just don't see the correlation. In fact most of the plays I've seen posted are typical TAG plays.

So guys either set me straight or set the record straight cause i'm completely baffled.

(TAG is not nut peddling for the last time)

Edit: Does anyone know the exact range of PT stats to define each style of play, as thats something I can't argue against.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Re: OK... I\'m thouroughly confused.

[ QUOTE ]
TAG has almost become a word synonimous with bad play (nut peddling), poor post-flop play, and a person who can be bullied out of each and every pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh... WTF?

Did you just make this up?
Old 12-09-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
TAG has almost become a word synonimous with bad play (nut peddling), poor post-flop play, and a person who can be bullied out of each and every pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh... WTF?

Did you just make this up?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Don't tell anyone! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously it's the general impression i've gotten reading the NL forums.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:20 PM

Honestly.. I have never, ever seen anybody say this.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:21 PM

I don't know what TAG is in NL; when I read it as a read on an opponent, I pretty much ignore it and hope the poster has given me more specific information.

LAG is better-defined. A LAG is loose and aggressive (duh). Loose and aggressive can win money in NL but its pretty high variance. Good LAGs are excellent postflop and know when to apply pressure to make their opponents fold and when to back off or conded the pot. They normally excel at hand reading and have no fear whatsoever.

Most LAGs at mid- and low-stakes are bad LAGs. They push too hard with too many marginal hands against the wrong players. They try to push calling stations off of top pair when they have nothing but a gutshot. They push hard too often and, as a result, don't have the folding equity they need for their plays to be +EV.

Loose and tight are both winning styles if played properly. Good LAGs (like Mahatma/Spirt Rock) are lionized for their play because its sexy and exciting to watch/play. Tight play can be equally profitable but its far less interesting to watch and discuss.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:24 PM

I've probaly been screening through the SSNL forum far too often then, You'd be amazed at some of the bad advice floating around in there Jim.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:24 PM

Playing styles should only be used as an easy reminder as to how your opponents play and what your table image is at any given time. Don't get caught up in thinking that being any one style is something you should be trying to attain because you will end up costing yourself profits by making a "style" play, rather than the most profitable play for that hand in that position against those opponents.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:26 PM

Very few players have the hand reading skills to play an effective LAG style.

You can play TAG at levels like 2/4 and watch the money pile up so might as well if you don't plan to move way way up.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:37 PM

The most important thing is that your playing style should change to fit with the game you're playing.

TAG play works better against a lot of loose/bad action junkies.

LAG works better against tight/weak players

TAG is not nut peddling... it's just waiting for better cards to play with. ie. Not playing every suited connector and one gapper you get on the button.

TAG play is typically easier, because you get yourself into a lot less marginal situations.

Here's an interesting post from a while ago by ML4L.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The most important thing is that your playing style should change to fit with the game you're playing.

TAG play works better against a lot of loose/bad action junkies.

LAG works better against tight/weak players

TAG is not nut peddling... it's just waiting for better cards to play with. ie. Not playing every suited connector and one gapper you get on the button.

TAG play is typically easier, because you get yourself into a lot less marginal situations.

Here's an interesting post from a while ago by ML4L.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good words of wisdom in both posts.