Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 12-06-2005, 06:34 PM

Default Re: SSH and tight low limit games.

I have had similar concerns about what type of games the advice in SSHE applies to. I'm quite new to poker and I'm currently playing a lot at NobelPoker, usually 1-2$ limit. There, the 10-handed tables are quite tight (20-30% flop) so I find myself playing a lot at the six-handed tables (50-70% flop). Problem is that I'm doing quite miserably at these tables, even though I think I grasp and follow the concepts in SSHE. Usually, I find that the super-aggressive players win the most! Instead, I win when I enter the tight 10-handed tables. What can I be doing wrong at 6-h? Is the advice is SSHE so dependent on 10-h games? If so, how should I adjust my game (the advice in SSHE) to fit 6-h?
Old 12-06-2005, 06:47 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
I have had similar concerns about what type of games the advice in SSHE applies to. I'm quite new to poker and I'm currently playing a lot at NobelPoker, usually 1-2$ limit. There, the 10-handed tables are quite tight (20-30% flop) so I find myself playing a lot at the six-handed tables (50-70% flop). Problem is that I'm doing quite miserably at these tables, even though I think I grasp and follow the concepts in SSHE. Usually, I find that the super-aggressive players win the most! Instead, I win when I enter the tight 10-handed tables. What can I be doing wrong at 6-h? Is the advice is SSHE so dependent on 10-h games? If so, how should I adjust my game (the advice in SSHE) to fit 6-h?

[/ QUOTE ]

SSHE isn't a book on shorthanded (6 handed) poker. It's for more of a full table.

b
Old 12-06-2005, 06:58 PM

You are here, there and everywhere asking basic question about poker ... what books have you actually read Zim ??
Old 12-06-2005, 07:03 PM

Hi Disco,
Short handed play requires a different style of play to win than a full game. You are right that a very aggressive style is what wins. I recommend checking out the short handed forums here if you plan on continuing 6 max.
Peace
Old 12-06-2005, 09:52 PM

Default Thanks Bernie!

Very much appreciated.

I'm making some ugly errors, misinterpreting some of the advice in SSH, so backing up a little, and relying on some old platitudes ("fit or fold" I still rather like) isn't such a sin, I figure.

I'll dust off my old copy of WLLH and catch up on some basic play.

Nonetheless, the game is going well after about 3000 hands now. Perhaps I should drop down a level, but as odd as this might sound ...

I play better at 2/4 than .5/1.00

I've encountered this before, and it's purely a psychological blip. When I'm only playing for a few dollars, I tend to not take the game seriously enough. Which is really bad poker (and it's all relative ... I'm certain 2/4 is considered a joke to many here), but I tend to do better when more money is at stake.

Of course, this implies some sort of emotional attachment to the money I'm wagering ... again, really bad. But I find it's more incentive to play correctly.

Regardless, thanks again for the advice.

All the best,
Zim
Old 12-06-2005, 09:57 PM

Hey Gel,

GSIH
WLLH
SSH (first reading ... lots to integrate)

Gave a bit of a history in the above post to Bernie, but I tend to ramble a bit ...

Cheers!
Zim
Old 12-08-2005, 08:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Only thing is, that the preflop chart become a bit too loose, but if you adjust those, then you are on a roll

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the tight starting chart is already tighter than what HEFAP recommends for a really tough mid limit game. So you don't need to tighten up even further to be tighter than the field. When the field is too tight, atleast when that extends to postflop play as well, you want more, not less chances to steal.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:56 AM

SSH is applicable to tight 2/4 games. The starting hand charts are not chisled in stone, as you gain experience they can be modified to fit the game you are playing in and your style of play.

That said, I found the tight game chart to work just fine in tight online low limit ring games.

Most of your profit will come from very good post flop play, and SSH does a very good job of pointing you in the right direction post flop.