Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 02:48 AM

Default Re: Paul Kammen\'s book

[ QUOTE ]
Kammen’s recommended buy-in for $2/4 is at least $40. I’ll let others elaborate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people are just that good. I know I've never been stuck 10 big bets in stud before. You guys that think this is silly advice are probably just fish.

[ QUOTE ]
Twice have I been rolled-up on the same hand that someone else was rolled-up on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn you're lucky. I have been in this situation over 20 times at least and it always seems like I'm rolled lower or get caught. I recall losing a huge 20-40 pot last year on party where I had rolled aces, someone had rolled queens, and there was a guy who on fourth who had (78)9 K, and caught us both with a rivered strait. It was capped the whole way aside from when I got raised on the river by that rat. I think I even made a post about that and asked Andy to do the math for rolled versus rolled in the same hand. I believe he calculated it was 27K-1 or so. Anyway, from Andys analysis it dosent appear I'll be getting this book anytime soon.

Mike Emery
Old 08-24-2005, 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Kammen’s recommended buy-in for $2/4 is at least $40. I’ll let others elaborate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people are just that good. I know I've never been stuck 10 big bets in stud before. You guys that think this is silly advice are probably just fish.

Mike Emery

[/ QUOTE ]

Very funny. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2005, 10:04 AM

Good lord man, I only made it through a fraction of this post, but here is my comment:

You should have said something along the lines of "... now having read it, I can with clear conscience say this book blows." and spent the rest of the time you took to compose this working on your book!
Old 08-24-2005, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Kammen says never to raise with three to a flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beermoney plays 3-flushes the same way.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Damn you're lucky. I have been in this situation over 20 times at least and it always seems like I'm rolled lower or get caught. I recall losing a huge 20-40 pot last year on party where I had rolled aces, someone had rolled queens, and there was a guy who on fourth who had (78)9 K, and caught us both with a rivered strait. It was capped the whole way aside from when I got raised on the river by that rat. I think I even made a post about that and asked Andy to do the math for rolled versus rolled in the same hand. I believe he calculated it was 27K-1 or so. Anyway, from Andys analysis it dosent appear I'll be getting this book anytime soon.

Mike Emery

[/ QUOTE ]

Just another bad beat story from Mike Emery. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Mike, If you're already rolled, the chances someone else is are close to 1/425.

The chances of two rolled hands at the same time is close to (1/425)*(1/425).

In all seriousness, did you throw up after that hand?

The thing that Sara has made me realize is just how important ante structure is. Based on this, I don't think any book really does justice to the topic. In 7CSFAP, they talk about a 5/10 game with a $1 BI, and a 10/20 game with a $2 BI. These are both quite different from what is currently played.

The bottom line:

Andy needs to write a book... Maybe iamastud will let you consult with him.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:38 AM

Kammen's book is very bad. To even mention it as comparable to West's is a joke. Kammen has NOT played much -- he wrote the book while studying to become a priest. I assume he now is a priest, and can't play at all.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kammen's book is very bad. To even mention it as comparable to West's is a joke. Kammen has NOT played much -- he wrote the book while studying to become a priest. I assume he now is a priest, and can't play at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't he make a post a couple months ago asking some questions because he was writing a new book? I did a search and couldnt find anything though I definitely remember it...

Good book report. I would have just watched the movie...
Old 08-24-2005, 05:31 PM

Do you really think raising is all that bad? Granted, no one is going to fold, and your hand doesn't play very well in a multi-way pot. But as long as it's live and I'm playing against very loose opponents who are likely to come in with very trashy hands, I like to raise. Granted, I mainly raise so I can justify my bad calls later because I've made the pot too big to fold [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I think there are a couple of key questions:

1. Do these people ever limp with big pairs?
2. Do these people have even a semblance of hand selection?

If the answer to these questions are both no, I can't keep myself from raising.

[ QUOTE ]

A third-street scenario: low card brings it in for $1, three players call and two fold. You have (JJ)4. The guy behind you has a Ten in the door, and there is only the bring-in after him. The limpers have two Queens and a King. Kammen has you raise here, saying that you want to get the guys behind you out. I consider myself to be a pretty aggressive player, especially when playing $2/4 while quaffing bloody maries. I think that calling in this spot is far superior to raising. Your raise isn’t going to get out too many people who weren’t folding anyway. There just isn’t that big of a difference between calling $1 and $2. Maybe the bring-in will fold for the extra $1, but if his hand is that poor, he’ll probably fold to a bet on fourth street. You’re not going to get the big cards to fold for another dollar, and any one of them could hit on fourth street. I think you’re much better off limping and then hoping to get a raise in if things fall good on fourth street.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-24-2005, 06:04 PM

When's your book comming out AndyB? I can't wait to go through it with a fine toothed comb.

-Dimitri
Old 08-24-2005, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you really think raising is all that bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't all that bad, certainly not as bad as most of the other stuff I cited. But it is suboptimal, in my estimation. Since he advocates just calling in a lot of other spots, it does strike me as inconsistent.

[ QUOTE ]
Granted, I mainly raise so I can justify my bad calls later because I've made the pot too big to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's as good a reason as any.

[ QUOTE ]
1. Do these people ever limp with big pairs?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I've encountered more than a few hundred low-limit stud players who limp with big pairs.

[ QUOTE ]
2. Do these people have even a semblance of hand selection?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who needs hand selection when you have a face card in the door?

[ QUOTE ]
If the answer to these questions are both no, I can't keep myself from raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're up for the year, and I'm not, so I can't argue with you.