Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 12-29-2005, 10:41 AM

Default 33 flops bottom set on coordinated board

I stopped playing microlimits for awhile in favor of the Party 10+1s, but now I'm back and trying to move up the ranks (again).

No reads on the other players in the hand, was multitabling with the Party beta and haven't gotten a chance to install PokerAce yet. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

This is the first hand I've had in awhile that's made me think, even overnight. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Usual loose-ish Party 0.50/1 table, I limp UTG figuring that enough people will come along for the ride

Flop: (6 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Button folds, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls, SB calls.

Well, I flopped my set all right, but that's a pretty scary straightful and flushful board. No slowplaying for me, I want people to pay for their draws, but then I get 3-bet. At that point I figure I can cap it, since a lot of the time I'm ahead, and if I'm not, I've still got plenty of outs to a full house/quads.

Turn: (9 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, SB calls.

Ok, there's the flush card... I capped the flop, so I lead the turn and don't get raised. No flushes out there? Or are the players just scared?

River: (12 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, SB calls.

Now there's 4 to a straight on the board and a possible flush, and yet I bet out the river. The more I've thought about it, the more I hate that bet, since chances are I'm not getting called by a worse hand, and I'm certainly not folding a better hand.

Final Pot: 15 BB

Comments on all streets welcome... I've fallen into playing 0.50/1 on autopilot, and that won't help me move up.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:14 AM

Default Re: 33 flops bottom set on coordinated board

I think you played it fine. Flop could have been someone with 2 pair or a6 as often as it is someone raising with a draw. Everyone quiets down for the rest of the hand so I would be surprised if anyone called with better than 2 pair.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:51 AM

I think the play is fine too. Flush draws welcome, since you're on a boat draw and probably ahead for now anyway. Everyone calling down to the end makes me feel great, callers aren't usually gonna win this one. nice hand!
Old 12-29-2005, 01:25 PM

Since everybody just called your turn bet, I like the river bet.

What I'm curious about is what you do if it comes back to you. What's your plan if CO raises? If CO folds and SB raises? If CO calls and SB raises?

(Hint: my answers to all those questions include the word "fold.")
Old 12-29-2005, 01:30 PM

If there is one raise and one call it's 17BB back to the hero, I think you have to make a crying call for that big a pot. If it is raised and re-raised I think you can let it go.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since everybody just called your turn bet, I like the river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty much what I was thinking when I was playing the hand. I'd figured that a flush would have raised the turn. However, I didn't stop to think about what would happen if I was raised on the river. The more I thought about it afterwards, I was unhappy with the river bet, since I didn't much want to call 2 bets on the river. At the same time though, I didn't want to fold to 1 bet back to me in a huge pot. Maybe that's a leak, I don't know. I would have given up the hand if CO raised and SB reraised, but 1 bet back to me, I have a hard time folding.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:23 PM

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I've worked really hard to raise my aggression, and I wasn't sure if I'd gone a little nuts on this hand.

FWIW, results in white:
<font color="white">CO had 66, SB had 55. Beaten on every street! So it goes...</font>
Old 12-29-2005, 03:24 PM

looks good.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:28 PM

I hate those hands. I flopped Aces over Jacks a couple of days ago and didn't get reraised by the guy with JJ until the river. :P
Old 12-29-2005, 04:23 PM

GRUNCH

I would have probably still bet the turn like you did, just to try to draw some information, but I would have checked the river and called one bet if there was one