Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 12-11-2005, 10:31 PM

Default Re: Another stud/8 tournament hand: rolled up threes

Quote:"otherwise the Q might reraise & knock out the others." This is what you want(note the wisdom of DSaxton).You raise your EV much more by getting rid of the low than you do by trying to suck more bets out of them.This 3rd street call/raise decision is the crucial point of the hand imho.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:"otherwise the Q might reraise & knock out the others." This is what you want(note the wisdom of DSaxton).You raise your EV much more by getting rid of the low than you do by trying to suck more bets out of them.This 3rd street call/raise decision is the crucial point of the hand imho.

[/ QUOTE ] I'm not saying Ray Zee is god, but he is more experienced than me. He says it doesn't matter whether you play trips heads up or in multiway.. in heads up you'll scoop more often, in multiway you'll often win half of or occasionally scoop a huge pot - occassionally get scooped yourself. I guess in a tourney situation I would lean towards your point of view, but in cash games I try to win huge pots.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:27 AM

Getfunky:It sounds like Ray Zee is talking about high stud instead of stud8.Am I confused about this? Thanks.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a reflexive response you experience whenever someone doesn't jam a rolled up hand early? [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2005, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a big fan of playing small rolled up hands the same way I would play hands like 345.

[/ QUOTE ]
I take it you are willing to cap it with 345 offsuit if the sixes and deuces are live? Would you cap it with the trips or just call the reraise - i guess if you play both these hands similarly it doesn't give away your hand as much - but the q may fear buried aces as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally I would cap unless I was quite certain it would kill my action.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:54 AM

Your hand is well-disguised from the git-go. A big brick is raising. Reraise! No one can tell if you're rolled up or if you've got a premium low hand.

On fourth, you caught low when the other low-looking hands bricked off AND CALLED THE HIGH HAND'S BET. Jam! Do not pass go, do not collect $200. Clueless morons who call on fourth when they brick off must be punished to the full extent possible.

And since they're the sort of chowderheads who will call you down from fifth street when you've caught (to all appearances) spectacularly good, keep the heat on.

If that river deuce were an ace you would have scooped. As it was, you split the pot with seat 8's 87. Tell me I'm wrong!
Old 12-13-2005, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If that river deuce were an ace you would have scooped. As it was, you split the pot with seat 8's 87. Tell me I'm wrong!

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I actually scooped. Seat 8 made aces up.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a reflexive response you experience whenever someone doesn't jam a rolled up hand early? [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
In loose stud hi/lo games, yes.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Getfunky:It sounds like Ray Zee is talking about high stud instead of stud8.Am I confused about this? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ] Here's the direct quote, i had paraphrased from memory:"It doesn't matter much whether you are heads up or in a multiway pot. When against only one opponent, you get to scoop more often. Against many opponents a low usually will be made and sometimes you will get scooped; however you generally will split and occassionaly will even scoop a big pot" It's in the starting hand section under Three of a Kind Wired.