Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games

Old 12-06-2005, 12:14 AM

Default Abandoning the slow play (TD 2-7)

How's my line here? I want to keep the third player in there, he's easily worth keeping around rather than picking up another SB in the second round. The better draws somewhat rough, even against pat hands.

But then when CO (a solid 2+2er) raises... should I disguise my hand strength by smooth-calling, or raise to get the extra big bet now? I think they're pretty much committed (I was surprised at the fold) but this move makes my hand strength pretty obvious and I will not get any later-street action.

I'm pretty happy raising it up here as in many cases I will not get paid off at the end even by portraying a weak made hand. The extra bet I hoped to get by having CO tag along is already there for the taking.

Euri10's TD converter

Hand number: 9654237-2547
Level: $4/$8
Players:
CO($145) seat 0
Button($246) seat 1
SB($243) seat 2
BB($39) seat 3
Hero($457) seat 4

Button at seat 1

SB posts. BB posts.

Hand: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Round 1(0.75BB)

Hero raises. CO re-raises. Button folds. SB calls. BB folds. Hero calls. SB takes 2. Hero takes 2. CO takes 2.

Hand: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Round 2(3.75BB)

SB bets. Hero calls. CO
raises. SB calls. Hero re-raises. CO calls. SB calls. SB takes 1. Hero stands pat. CO takes 1.

Hand: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Round 3(8.25BB)

SB checks. Hero bets. CO
calls. SB folds. Hero stands pat. CO stands pat.

Round 4(10.25BB)

Hero bets. CO calls.

Showdown:
<font color="white">Hero shows 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
CO mucks 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]</font>
Old 12-06-2005, 12:45 AM

Default Re: Abandoning the slow play (TD 2-7)

You played this hand terribly, but I managed to play it worse. How many times does someone fold here for 2 small bets (especially given the preflop action)? 1/4 of the time?

Also, you're making it so that you're not ever getting raised on the later streets (which is worth a lot more than one small bet).
Old 12-06-2005, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You played this hand terribly, but I managed to play it worse. How many times does someone fold here for 2 small bets (especially given the preflop action)? 1/4 of the time?

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not consider the pot size. You are right that a fold is unlikely here.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, you're making it so that you're not ever getting raised on the later streets (which is worth a lot more than one small bet).

[/ QUOTE ]

The smooth call is not to get a small bet here (I could get that by raising the original better) it's to pick up a big bet the next round.

Certainly the call/3-bet line will scare off later-street raises, but the original call can play like a scared 8 (as long as I remember to actually play some scared 8s that way vs observant opponents.)
Old 12-06-2005, 01:44 AM

If people put you on a rough hand, they're just more likely to freeze you on a hand. If they put you on a wheel, they fold. And you're arguing this will increase the amount of action you're going to get in future rounds.

On top of that, you need to consider the metagame.