Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-02-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Canterbury 30/60 88

6 handed at the time

My image is loose and aggressive at the time. I'm in the sb holding 88. The big blind says "i raise" before anyone acts as he says he thought he was UTG. After being told he's the big blind he says "well i'll raise when it comes around to me". So my read here is he has AA-99,A10-AK and maybe KJ-KQ. Possibly a few other but i've only played with him for an hour so i don't know his tendencies.

It's folded around to me in the sb and I complete(I'd normally raise if he hadn't said anything) he raises and I call.

Flop comes 522 rainbow

I check. He bets. I checkraise. He now says "if you have a 2 i'm paying you off"

turn is a J

I bet with the intention of folding if he raises but he just calls.

river is a K

I check and he checks.

Thoughts on how to play this hand. Bet the river? How about preflop?
Old 12-02-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Canterbury 30/60 88

I raise preflop anyway. You get a better indication of his hand if he decides to 3-bet or not. Also, you represent a ton of strength by raising even when he said that he was going to raise, so your fold equity is increased a bit if an A falls and he doesn't have it.

I might be a bit biased because you showed me the river, but his comment about paying off if you have a 2 makes it seem like he is trying to represent a high PP, yet doesn't actually have one. He wants you to check, so that he gets free cards. Turn is standard. I might bet-fold the turn, but that king is really awful, so maybe just check. I am unsure though, but probably checking is right. Do you call a bet though? Probably not...
Old 12-02-2005, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Canterbury 30/60 88

my intention was to fold if he bet the river