Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 10-24-2005, 07:27 PM

Default Re: 2006 WSOP Main Event now published

If I play on day 1a and somehow survive then my schedule is:

Day 1 - Fri, Jul 28
Day 2 - Tue, Aug 1
Day 3 - Fri, Aug 4

Enough players have trouble just getting off work for a couple days to make it out there for day 1 and 2 (and improvising if they somehow make it longer than that).

This new format looks like it could some even more SERIOUS scheduling issues for some.

You could be stuck out there until day 3, which takes over a week, and STILL not even make it into the money (so it's not like you're in a position where you can quit your job).

Do we really believe that the main-event will get 8,000 players next year?
My guess would be about 5,600 again.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:52 PM

It was in a press release. For instance Yahoo Business.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're right. In the neighborhood of 5K sounds right. I think 2005 was the peak of this. I don't see a big downswing really fast, but I think the "reality" of the true difficulty of the game (and long odds on hitting the money for the "anyone can win" crowd) is coming to light for the masses.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:02 PM

Looks like they are also trying to avoid the 14hr days. Most 'goals' after the 'first day' seem to be to cut the field in half each day instead of to 1/3 like this year.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're right. In the neighborhood of 5K sounds right. I think 2005 was the peak of this. I don't see a big downswing really fast, but I think the "reality" of the true difficulty of the game (and long odds on hitting the money for the "anyone can win" crowd) is coming to light for the masses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil Gordon recently had a book reading at the U of M for his new book. Someone asked him if he thought the WSOP had peaked this year, he was very confident that the field this year would be around 7500, next year peak at 10k and level off after that.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:22 PM

Don't forget that this year didn't reach max expectations. They were ready for 6600 and didn't get there. I'll stand by 5000. I think 10K in 2 years is way out of line, but we shall see.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:27 PM

Thanks for the info!

Looks like I'm good to go! Wedding 7/22/05!

Now I just got to qualify!

Thanks everyone!
Old 10-24-2005, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget that this year didn't reach max expectations. They were ready for 6600 and didn't get there. I'll stand by 5000. I think 10K in 2 years is way out of line, but we shall see.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't my guess, so I need not remember anything. Was just passing along Phil Gordons opinion on the matter
Old 10-24-2005, 10:28 PM

I think we'll have to wait for this year's to air and see how well it does. I honestly believe, depending on how good/bad the coverage is seen by Joe Schmoe, that it could change the turnout by almost 1000 in either direction. My guess is 6,300-6,4000 for 2006, leveling off around 6,000 after that. I think it hits its peak in 2006, unless something really crazy happens (Hachem or Raymer make the final table, something along those lines).
Old 10-24-2005, 11:02 PM

Lots of the online-qualifiers who made it there for the first time last year might not be 'repeaters' imo.

I played with a few guys in various satellites and smaller events who seemed somewhat fried as well as frustrated that they were getting clobbered.

It's big and crazy and crowded...and it's a pain to get to the men's room.

I think if we were to add 2,000 'first-timers' we will likely still be losing 1,500 of those who were 'first-timers' last year.

Just a hunch. No real evidence here.

Also worth considering is the WSOP circuit.
For example, the current event at Caesar's-Indiana (near Louisville) is packed.

I believe someone posted that their first 4 events were sold-out in advance and they had hundreds of alternates.

Will this whet the appetites of poker-players in that area and entice them to try to make it to Vegas in July for the 'real thing'?
Or will just playing a circuit event be enough for them? they get to say that they played in the WSOP and that gets them the 'rush'.

Is it possible that this WSOP-circuit making it's way around the country (although not as much anymore since Biloxi and new Orleans will be cancelled) will actually NEGATIVELY impact participation in the main-event?

I'm really not sure...just pontificating.