Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2005, 11:58 AM

Default AKs flops AKs

This happened twice in about 10 hands. Not comfortable with my play in either.

Reads: Only about a dozen hands at this table, Some halfway decent players at the table but they all fold. Remaining players look to be pretty fishy:
UTG+1: LPP (30/0)
UTG+2: LPP (37/0)
MP2: LPP (45/0)

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>.

Flop: (9.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls.

Based on the last couple of hands I've played with these guys where they both called down to the end with bottom pair weak kicker...I assume they're in to stay so I go for value bets. But my last AKs (which flopped AKs, hit a 3rd flush on the turn and a 4th on the river to give the guy holding an unpaired 3 a flush) has me a little spooked!

But Obviously, I'm incredibly vulnerable to spade draws and someone with 2 non AK broadways. I thought about trying to protect my hand on the flop with a check raise but figured that probably wouldn't work. I also thought about checking/calling the flop then check-raising the turn if no one showed strength.

Instead, I bet out.

Turn: (6.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls.

River: (10.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 13.75 BB

Comments/Critiques?
Old 01-29-2005, 12:00 PM

Default Re: AKs flops AKs

Nice hand.

Don't go for a check raise.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:00 PM

So standard it's scary.

Regarding the fancy check-raise play, ask yourself: if you were UTG+1 and had two spades, would you be correct in calling two cold on the flop?
Old 01-29-2005, 12:03 PM

Nice hand.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:09 PM

Relative newbie warning: take my advice with a grain of salt.

First off, I understand your fear. I've had plenty of flopped top-2-pairs get beaten by stupid hands.

But you didn't let your fears stop you from leading out, and there's no other way to play top two pair. Sure, you'll get beat with flushes, a set, and Mr. QT out there occasionally, but a majority of the time you hold AK and flop AKx, you're winning.

Maybe if you get re-raised on the turn from a passive post-flop player, your fears might grow. But there's always the chance of a flush just calling you down.

I had a guy flop a set (middle cards) yesterday just call me down the whole way when I had Top pair, medium kicker on flop, then an overcard came so I had second-top pair after turn. I feel like saying, "hey buddy, I'm raising for information here, can't you give me a little?"