Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-15-2005, 06:40 PM

Default ($22): AK, turn makes things very interesting.

No reads, would appreciate comments on all streets and future plays.

PartyPoker - NL Texas Hold'em $20 Buy-in + $2 Entry Fee Tournament | Level: 2 - 10 players (Converter: PGC)

Chip Counts:
Button: 955 Chips
SB: 800 Chips
BB: 1260 Chips
UTG: 820 Chips
UTG+1: 745 Chips
<font color="red">Hero: 760 Chips</font>
MP2: 765 Chips
MP3: 850 Chips
LP1: 290 Chips
CO: 755 Chips

Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Blinds are 15/30

PreFlop
<font color="blue">UTG folds</font>, <font color="blue">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="green">Hero Calls</font>, <font color="blue">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="blue">MP3 folds</font>, <font color="blue">LP1 folds</font>, <font color="blue">CO folds</font>, <font color="green">Button Calls</font>, <font color="blue">SB folds</font>, <font color="green">BB checks</font>

(3 players) FLOP: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ( Pot Size: 105 Chips )
<font color="green">BB checks</font>, <font color="green">Hero checks</font>, <font color="green">Button checks</font>

(3 players) TURN: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ( Pot Size: 105 Chips )
<font color="red">BB BETS ($55)</font>, <font color="green">Hero Calls</font>, <font color="red">Button RAISES ($110)</font>, <font color="red">BB RAISES ($165)</font>, <font color="green">Hero ????</font>
Old 12-15-2005, 08:35 PM

Default Re: ($22): AK, turn makes things very interesting.

Anyone?
Old 12-15-2005, 09:34 PM

Ugh what are you doing? Raise pf, then you can cont bet the flop. Easy
Old 12-15-2005, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ugh what are you doing? Raise pf, then you can cont bet the flop. Easy

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:39 PM

Well actually I might not cont bet this flop, but a raise will at least thin the field.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:58 PM

BB's mistake was betting 55 and giving you the proper odds to draw to your flush. Wish he would've bet 75-90 so we didnt have this problem.

So your turn call is "ok" (1:3.9 from pot, 1:4.1 needed just for the flush, +ton more outs if he's just bluffing at the pot, +implied odds, position on a bettor BB... I'd say you're good to go).

But, although you 'seem' to have lots of outs (9 spades, TTT, AAA, KK) considering the board and the betting, we can safely say that A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] are no longer outs. TPTK would not cut it here. So thats -5 outs right there.

You either have to hit the nut straight, and pray one of the two hasn't hit his flush, or hit the flush yourself.

This is of course being optimistic, and saying that the Ts are all still live, whereas in reality at least one of your Ts is obviously in the hands of one of your opponents, and only good if the other opponent hasn't hit his flush.

Since action doesn't close on you, and the high likelyhood that the BB and the button are going into a mini-raise (eventually all-in) war with their respective made hands, just back off and relax. No need to get sandwiched into giving up your stack on a draw here. It's still very early in the game.

As for in the future, do what tigerite tells you to do. He knows what he's talking about. Raising PF, and continuation betting depending on number of callers, position, and flop texture is my default line here.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well actually I might not cont bet this flop, but a raise will at least thin the field.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's why I didn't raise, and I'm not saying it's a good reason, but it is a reason!

In the past I was playing AK aggressively, raising it from any position in the early levels, then c-betting safe looking flops and it seemed more often than not I was getting played back at and always had a pretty damaged stack. Lately, playing it more passively has not been hurting my stack, but I guess it hasn't been helping it, so I'm sure I've been passing up some +EV situations by not raising it.

My question is, what do you raise it up to at this level? 90-100? Then c-bet around half the pot on a safe looking flop?

What if it's level one? You still need to bump it to 60-75 to thin the field, then how much are you c-betting it?
Old 12-16-2005, 05:20 PM

I raise to t100 and take it from there preflop. What happens afterwards and who calls then decides my action on the flop. I mean you at least should have 10 hands worth of information from all of them, so that'll help a bit.