Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 07:22 AM

Default Greek Life

Why do people Rush and Pledge Fraternities and Sororites...

It makes sense to me at bigger schools so that you can have a sense of comunity, but what about at smaller schools, ~4000 or fewer students??

i'd like to hear whatever you guys have to say on the topic so feel free to digress
Old 10-04-2005, 10:51 AM

Default Re: Greek Life

people like to feel like they belong, even if it's a small school to begin with. or maybe their only option was to buy their friends which is kind of what they are doing. but hey, i'm no expert.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:54 PM

Pulled this off one greek site, if you want more info, you can easily do a quick search yourself...

Why Go Greek? What's so special?

Greeks are leaders! Leaders on campus, leaders in business, communities, states, and other organizations. No matter how you look at it, Greeks just stand out!

Here are some interesting Greek Facts:

Since 1825, the founding of Greek-letter organizations, all but two U.S. Presidents were Greek.
All but two U.S. Vice-Presidents were Greek. (since 1825).
7 out of 10 people listed in Who's Who are Greek.
Both females elected to the U.S. Supreme Court were sorority members.
85% of the Fortune 500 executives are Greek.
Of the nation's 50 largest corporations, 43 are headed by Greeks.
63% of the U.S. President's Cabinet members since 1900 have been Greek.
Nationally, over 70% of Greeks graduate, while only 50% of non-Greeks graduate.
76% of U.S. Congressmen and Senators are Greek.
Less than 2% of an average college student's expenses go toward Greek membership dues.
Over 85% of the student leaders on some 730 campuses are members of a Greek-letter organization.
Since 1910, 40 of 47 Supreme Court Justices have been Greek. Three Canadian Prime Ministers have been Greek.
Maybe you will be one of those great numbers!
Old 10-07-2005, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here are some interesting Greek Facts

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah well... it all becomes clear. That's why we the US of A are in such a mess.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2005, 03:13 AM

I graduated from UC Berkeley, where I joined Theta Chi Fraternity.

I came to campus believing I would not join a fraternity, but in any event I decided to look around. At Theta Chi, I found a bunch of guys that I got along very well with, and indeed, have made the best friendships I've had yet.

So that should be your answer: go around and meet the brothers and judge whether you think you want to hangout with these people for the next four years or longer.

The benefits are: lots of access to poker games, making friends and dates, academic help, support, and leadership/organizational experience. After being in a fraternity, I am not at all surprised that so many people in charge of complex entities (countries, businesses, etc.) were members of fraternities.

Potential drawbacks: distractions, interpersonal conflict, cost.

In all, the benefits are usually more likely than the drawbacks- plus, you can always leave.

If you want specific advice, feel free to ask me.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:11 AM

Man... I pledged Sig-Tau and not once did i get laid. Every party was a sausage fest with the guys saying stuff like "let's go pick up some girls" "where are all the girls" "man, i wish there were some girls here" but would just huddle aruond the keg getting drunker. I didn't go through with those losers.
Old 10-08-2005, 02:12 AM

It seems there are a lot of reasons to do it other than just "paying for your friends". Some orgs are not just a big party fest there are a lot of academic greek orgs as well. I know a lot of people who joined these solely for the resume booster, they had no interest in getting wasted with the bros.

I never liked the idea of them either. It was something I checked out when I first went to school, just to see what it was all about. It really wasn't for me and I found that out quickly. A lot of people I know who were really excited about them at first were pretty much over it by the end. There are also a lot of people who get stuck in that lifestyle even after they graduate. At my school the greeks were like a breeding ground for STDs as well. Something like 1 in 3 at the school has or had a STD, but like 80% of those people were greeks.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:26 AM

I'm pledging for Alpha Kappa Psi, a business frat. I want to see if it's really what they say, plus it's a resume booster. I'm kind of getting annoyed by the anal rules they have, like having to memorize a crapload of names and history.

I'm really not into the whole Greek thing though, the whole concept sounds retarded.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At my school the greeks were like a breeding ground for STDs as well. Something like 1 in 3 at the school has or had a STD, but like 80% of those people were greeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

it still doesn't burn when i pee

(we went to the same school and i am in a frat)
Old 10-08-2005, 09:18 AM

like warren up there, I also went to school thinking of not joining a frat. With a 25,000 undergraduate population at university of illinois you quickly knew the guys you were hanging out with in the dorms were not connected socially to the majority of the social/bar scene.

I joined a house with a bunch of good guys, great parties and exchanges, and also a group of people I will keep in touch with for the rest of my life.

Don't knock it till you try it.