Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 06:09 PM

Default Re: My landlord wants to increase our rent at the end of our lease...

I recently moved out of my apartment due to my crappy landlord. If you are interested in some ways of screwing your landlord, I can be of help.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'm thinking we might try and go for a different place.

I dunno, we're actually under the lease of the management company (even though he owns the place now) and we don't have a lease under him yet at all. He wants us to sign one from 1/16 or whatever until 08/07. I don't think I feel comfortable with this.

And to chesspain, since we don't actually have a lease under this guy, if we decide not to live here can we still enjoy our peace and quiet all summer?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm no lawyer, but it seems like he's still bound by your lease, as the successor of the management company. Don't sign another lease unless it's somehow better for you.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:20 PM

That's why they have leases. When your lease is up, you negotiate a new one or move on. It's his property. He can do with it what he wants once your lease is up. I don't get the issue here. It wouldn't surprise me though if he's already doing some work to add a room if he might fix some other stuff.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3) No way would I allow him to begin shutting off the living room during the summer, while you remain a lawful tenant. He only has the right to make necessary repairs, and to show the place to potential tenants if you will be moving. Otherwise, you have the right to full, quiet enjoyment of the entire apartment for as long as you are a lawful tenant.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-10-2005, 06:34 PM

I really dont understand your dilema. Its either worth 900 to you or it isnt. Regarding the extra room if you dont want it no reason to let him install it before you leave.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:38 PM

Your landlord probably doesn't know what he's doing. Either he seriously underpriced the place when he first rented it to you, or he's trying to charge you above market rate. A 50% increase is ridiculous.

Probably what happened is, he's figuring on an X% income from his property. The property value went up, like everything has everywhere, so he thinks he should get a higher rent payment. This is not how it's supposed to work. Supply and demand works in the rental market. He's not guaranteed to get any return. In fact, property prices are so much higher than rents in some areas that the market value of rent won't cover mortgage, tax, and maintenance. Because of this, you're actually in a great bargaining position.

Seriously, though, I would want to move, because it sounds like he has no idea what he's doing. It's only like one weekend of work, and you'll save yourself a lot of money and grief.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:41 PM

My dilemma is do I want to pay the same amount of rent for a smaller apartment without him fixing anything else.

He really doesn't have any idea what he's doing. Like I said, this is only his second rental property. I mean, he is a nice guy, and we sat around and talked when he closed the place. Just seems like a dolt. I might just tell him what I think and see how he takes it.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:30 PM

What part of Pittsburgh?
Old 12-10-2005, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You certainly don't need to be deciding now whether you want to renew your lease for 9/06-8/07. Although he might like some idea now, it's awfully early to be getting tenants to decide whether they want to renew nine months from now.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is SOP in the student housing market. At least, my landlord, and landlords of most of my friends did. This was in Worcester, MA, so this may vary.

Being a landlord for college kids has it's plusses and minuses. The big advantage is that you have near 100% occupancy, at least if your property is near a school with a relatively low housing supply, like a school located in a city.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And to chesspain, since we don't actually have a lease under this guy, if we decide not to live here can we still enjoy our peace and quiet all summer?

[/ QUOTE ]

A lease through the management company is still a lease through the landlord. However, the landlord has an interest in having your renewal be directly through him, for then he won't have to pay the management company's commission for the next year's lease.

Moreover, unless your lease has some funky wording in it, I assume that the place remains yours, under the present rent arrangement, through August.