Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 12:14 AM

Default Re: Playing Poker instead of being a Freshman

Hi egocide, i'm coming to this thread a little late. I want to echo what the other posters have said. In college i wasted a lot of opportunities because i was too busy playing computer games to get out and do stuff. (Now it's poker for me, but there's really little difference at the limits you're playing at.) I'd kick the habit for a while and have a wonderful time with friends, then drop back into it when things got bad.

Now, I've been out of school for two years. By the way, yes I got a degree but I'm not happy doing what I'm doing now. I want to get into law school but my grades are awful from college (2.5), mostly because I spent too much time on a pointless hobby.

You're a freshman. Don't repeat my mistake. I missed out, and continue to miss out, on countless opportunities because of my computer. If you have the discipline to not play 27 os UTG, then you should be able to find the discipline to limit yourself to an hour a day, or whatever you find is necessary to keep school and your social life in balance. Good luck.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:07 PM

Concentrate on your school. Odds are, that will be much more EV than any money you are winning now.

When you graduate, you will have to make money - but you don't have to now. Enjoy school.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:38 PM

wow. sure wish i read this thread before i started uni (thats what we call it in australia =P), good post play2win.

i messed about all through uni, got crap grades and wished that i had done better. after doing an IT degree, i was left working 4 nightshifts a week at a net cafe. it was crap.

i lucked out and got a good job about 6 months after i graduated.

if you want a poker analogy, it was like hitting that two outer in a 40BB pot on the river. but if you just protected your hand with agressive play in the early rounds you wouldn't be in the situation where you have to pray for the slim outs. ok, that was pathetic but you get the idea. =P

PS. yes i am aware that in a 40BB pot there arnt many hands you will be folding on the river for an extra bet. ^_^

im so tired this morning....
Old 10-11-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Go to the library! It is the best place to study, there is no temptation of getting online and screwing around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey old man, they have this thing called wireless internet now.

Kidding, I saw that you have only been out a couple years. Still made me laugh, though, becuase the library is often where i got to focus on POKER, not school work.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:48 AM

I'm a senior in college right now and find it tough to pass my classes even also I am drinking to relax and not that much to be social + I have not been giving my girl basically any attention and I feel bad about it....before I started playing I had a 3.3 GPA, my 1st 3 years and got lots of girls.

Don't let poker control you, in college. Seriously. It happened to me the last year and I regret it. freshman year should be one of the best years of your life. Don't think about poker. If you were playing higher stakes I would consider droping out of shcool. Right now, I would honesly advise you to only play on weekends. You will miss out on things money can't buy if you let poker control you. At least for me personally I could not make it through school for 4 years playing online poker a lot. Most people would end up failing out or getting crappy grades and having lost their college years. I am being honest. I really don't want to see anyone waste this time.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:06 AM

do your schoolwork first
have a social life second
play poker third

it's worked for me for 4 years - it can work for you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2005, 03:28 AM

Why you writing this? Go party away, have some fun, stop writing on the forums instead of partying [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2005, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PS. yes i am aware that in a 40BB pot there arnt many hands you will be folding on the river for an extra bet. ^_^

im so tired this morning....

[/ QUOTE ]

Just for fun: OESD draw that double pairs on the turn but hits your 2 outer straight flush on the river?