Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 11:42 AM

Default Re: OT: My mom wants me to be a poker pro

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

5. Mom will eventually come to terms with your being a college graduate.

[/ QUOTE ]
lmao

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL -- sorry if it came out that way, not the intention or the sentiment.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:42 AM

yeah, but did your sister make enough to support herself? j/k
Old 10-07-2005, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, but did your sister make enough to support herself? j/k

[/ QUOTE ]

lol [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2005, 12:09 PM

Someone once said 'Money won is ten times as sweet as money earned.' The problem with going pro is it now becomes money you have to earn. Finish college and continue to get better at poker.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Finish college and continue to get better at poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

If nothing else because you basically have enough time to play semi-pro while going to school, and because university is an amazing time. I think I'd have way more fun at university now then playing poker somewhere else.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:14 PM

I'm a senior at UCF, graduating in August. I've been seriously considering taking a year off and playing poker. I visited my grandparents and spent 3 hours at Foxwoods up in CT. I made $64~ an hour at 2/4 limit and that was folding every single hand for the first hour because I got dreadful cards. You just start thinking to yourself...what job out of college would give you $64 an hour? And on top of that - would you love it? Even if you make it $50 an hour for 40 hrs/week it comes out to $100,000 a year full time. I'm not trying to toot my own horn but just bring up a point regarding people in my similar situation. My parents have warmed up to the idea but they were so concerned when I started playing. They thought I was going to become a gambling addict and get kicked out of school and all that craziness. There were some good points mentioned above about the lack of benefits from being a poker player. I'm just pretty much confused as lots of us fairly successful college poker players are. A lot of graduates take a year off to go skiing, travel the world and whatever, I guess you could consider this just something like that. Did anyone reading this thread actually do this? How did it turn out?
Old 10-07-2005, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a senior at UCF, graduating in August. I've been seriously considering taking a year off and playing poker. I visited my grandparents and spent 3 hours at Foxwoods up in CT. I made $64~ an hour at 2/4 limit and that was folding every single hand for the first hour because I got dreadful cards. You just start thinking to yourself...what job out of college would give you $64 an hour? And on top of that - would you love it? Even if you make it $50 an hour for 40 hrs/week it comes out to $100,000 a year full time. I'm not trying to toot my own horn but just bring up a point regarding people in my similar situation. My parents have warmed up to the idea but they were so concerned when I started playing. They thought I was going to become a gambling addict and get kicked out of school and all that craziness. There were some good points mentioned above about the lack of benefits from being a poker player. I'm just pretty much confused as lots of us fairly successful college poker players are. A lot of graduates take a year off to go skiing, travel the world and whatever, I guess you could consider this just something like that. Did anyone reading this thread actually do this? How did it turn out?

[/ QUOTE ]

RUNNING HOT. Jesus christ, it doesn't take a genius to know that if you were doing $64/hr at TWO/FOUR FIXED.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

RUNNING HOT. Jesus christ, it doesn't take a genius to know that if you were doing $64/hr at TWO/FOUR FIXED.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good God. Was that your first time playing B&M? I used to go to FW every week... trust me, that 2/4 game cannot be consistently beaten when they take $4 out for rake every time. YOUR SAMPLE SIZE IS TOO SMALL.

What limits do you generally play at? And are you really successful enough?

I think most people cannot grasp the difficulty of playing full-time until they've seen a 100 buyin downswing (like I had earlier this year) and live in misery for a week or two.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:24 PM

Your Mom obviously hasn't seen you play [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good God. Was that your first time playing B&M? I used to go to FW every week... trust me, that 2/4 game cannot be consistently beaten when they take $4 out for rake every time. YOUR SAMPLE SIZE IS TOO SMALL.

[/ QUOTE ]

well.. the game CAN be beaten, just not for very much [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] you would make more workin at mcdonalds. holla