Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 09-26-2005, 09:10 PM

Default AdQd2d5d on button

looking at the hand more, i think i was asking for trouble.

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, 4 folds, CO calls, Hero calls, SB folds, BB checks

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>

checked to the button, i pot it.

Not really sure why I potted it. I only had the nut low draw, with a decent chance of being quartered. was it wrong?

BB folds, 3 calls

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>

i think this is where i get into trouble. i have the nut low, 7 outs for the nut flush and maybe 3 outs for the straight. i think that it's a poor high draw.

UTG checks, UTG+1 bets the pot, CO raises the pot, i raise the pot all-in, UTG+1 calls all-in, CO calls all-in.

I realize now that with this action - I will be quartered almost 100% of the time.

I also didn't notice that an 8 high straight is possible.

If I am against 1 opponent, I think that I could raise, but against 2 it is a bad idea - correct?

Even against 1 opponent, he could have the high locked up and quarter me for the low (but not often).

am I thinking properly? thanks!

looking at my opponents two specific hands on twodimes, i was in a bad situation.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:16 AM

Default Re: AdQd2d5d on button

Pot it preflop, obviously. Bet on the flop is fine. I would also have played for my stack after the turn card, with nut low made, flush draw and a pair. It is true, though, that I wouldn't feel good about it with two others in. Maybe folding is better with a pot bet + raise pot against rational players. You'll miss out on times when both players have a straight, though, or when a diamond hits the river.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:21 AM

i am new to omaha8, and am only playing limit so far, but this seems like a close one. i think it all comes down to your reads, and the exact pot size when it comes to you. you basically know you have 25% equity from the low end. hmm....maybe 3 a2's are possible, as i have seen a lot of that my first few days. then again, maybe this is your lucky day, and you aren't getting quartered at all. i'll say you have 25% equity to make it simple. then, you also have a chance to hit your 7 outs for the other half of the pot. so, roughly 15% of the time, you get another 50%. i'll round that down to another 7% equity because of possibilty of your opponent filling up with your diamond. so, you have ~32% equity in the pot.

basically, i think it depends on exactly how much is in the pot. you potted it already on the flop, so it might be a decent size. it also depends on how much you like to gambool. i am not sure how pl omaha players think, but a call might be worth it just to get action later. in nl holdem, its sort of important to give action in break-even situations to get some back when you have the nuts. does this apply to omaha8, or are the players so bad that they will give rocks tons of action?
Old 09-27-2005, 07:57 PM

Raise it pre-flop, although I wouldnt pot it. On the flop, is there was a bet, Id probobly flat call, but since it was checked to you I like the pot. On the turn, this is awfly close, but I cant imagine folding this. Its tough because of the two opponents in the pot, but alot of the time both of those players will have gone high with a weak low draw. If you're quartered, you atleast have 7 outs to the flush.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:17 PM

I also think it's best to raise pre-flop. But the rest of your play was fine. On the turn, you have to at least call, so you might as well raise all-in to get maximum ev. If you get quartered, putting in 1/3 &amp; getting back 1/4 is not a disaster.