Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 06-17-2005, 03:17 PM

Default Another 3-6 Empire hand - how many bets did I miss?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (6.33 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (7.16 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, CO calls, UTG folds.

River: (12.16 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 14.16 BB

Questions:

Assuming my preflop call was correct:

1. Should I have raised the flop when it was $3 to me?
2. Should I have re-raised the flop when the cutoff raised on a rainbow board?
3. Should I have checked to the raiser on the turn?
4. Should I have check-raised the turn once the flop raiser bet out?
5. Should I have led out on the river?

Any input is appreciated.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Another 3-6 Empire hand - how many bets did I miss?

I found your hand interesting because I've been in that situation many times and I have to post this. I liked your checking and calling on the flop, and check raise on the turn and think that you played it right, and here's why. Slow playing is great to get extra bets when you have a strong hand, but that MP2 Player that called, what if he was holding pocket queens, slowed down because of the ace on the flop. You just call rather than raise on the turn, and he decides to call one bet on the turn just cause he's in this far, and nails his two outer. Unlikely? its happened to me before, and I never over do my slow plays any more. The turn is the time to start getting people to drop, or you risk losing what should be a cinch hand.

To sum up, like your play, don't get too fancy. Think you played it for best value without risking getting sucked out on.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:35 PM

1. I would have reraised...but I don't think the check is terrible..nice to get some others along for the ride.

2. This should be an easy re-raise. The only hand that could be ahead of you is AA and the likelihood of a strong draw is small (56?)

3. Check-raise on the turn is OK, but if you took the lead on the flop, obviously you would bet the turn.

4. Yes.

5. Yes. You don't want to miss a river bet.

My 2 ¢. Good Luck.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:36 PM

Calling the initial flop bet with 3 left to act on a relatively harmless board isn't bad. Failing to reraise when it comes back to you is. Once people have shown some attachment for this particular board, you should be willing to go to war. For one thing, they may be willing to put in another bet or two on the flop but not on the turn. For another, a turn scare card could fall (not so much on this board) and kill your action.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:40 PM

Preflop limp is standard. Some might advocate raising, but I don't like it behind 2 limpers...first in or behind 1 limper from MP, I'd raise.

I usually hate slowplaying, but this is pretty much the ideal flop to do it with. Very little in the way of draw potential, and the A showing is generally going to get you some action. So I don't at all mind just calling twice.

The turn c/r was mandatory, and worked very well as you got an extra bet from UTG. Obviously you're going to lead the river.

So basically, I like your play in this hand as well. I think you milked the field for as much as you were going to get.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:40 PM

I'd 3bet the flop and lead the turn hoping the CO keeps raising.