Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 06-17-2005, 11:50 AM

Default Re: Blind wars...yet another Chief Vs. Qtip battle...

I liked my play in this one too [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] but I thought the turn cap was close. I did, BTW, intend to fold to a river raise.

I know QTip didn't like his play here either which is probably part of the reason why he posted the HEPFAP post he did today. Obviously he turn 3-bet was bad. I think what's interesting is his turn bet to start with. I think he should check there against me. Comments?
Old 06-17-2005, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I liked my play in this one too [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] but I thought the turn cap was close. I did, BTW, intend to fold to a river raise.

I know QTip didn't like his play here either which is probably part of the reason why he posted the HEPFAP post he did today. Obviously he turn 3-bet was bad. I think what's interesting is his turn bet to start with. I think he should check there against me. Comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly right. I should have checked the turn. What would have been interesting is, after I catch 2 pair, and chief bets into me on the river, do I raise?

I told chief I didn't like my play (the turn sucked all around). I got caught up in all the excitement! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2005, 11:59 AM

What did you have him on? Why didn't you raise the river?
Old 06-17-2005, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to know something about chief's aggressive blind style. 22 and 44 are just as likely here as AA.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to know something about chief's aggressive blind style. 22 and 44 are just as likely here as AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

So...at the river, I think he's folding anything I beat to a raise, and I'm getting 3 bet with anything better.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The check-raise cap on the turn suggests to me that Chief has a made hand, 2-pair or better. Since the agression came on the 8 it looks like he has A8 or a set. By raising the river we may gain 1BB when we're ahead and lose 2BB when we're behind. We would need to be correct about being ahead 2/3 or more of the time, which I don't think we are. So the river raise would be -EV.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What would have been interesting is, after I catch 2 pair, and chief bets into me on the river, do I raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
I already gave you the answer to that when I said I was folding to a raise. So I think you're call is fine, even though at that point you know you're beating me most of the time. After I capped the turn and get raised again on the river I know you have at least a better two pair almost always so I'm not paying off.

And when I check that turn I'm not calling a bet very often. I'm raising or folding the majority of the time. And I'm raising occasionally with total BS just so you can't fold. Basically that's right out of the book you're reading so now you know it does apply and work well (if you follow the advice). [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2005, 12:29 PM

I run into this situation alot. By the time you get enough bets in to realize the villian really likes his hand the pot is to big to get away from.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:26 PM

I do have a question someone brought up here. Let's say Matt did have 88.

How many are check/folding that flop?
Old 06-17-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I should have checked the turn. What would have been interesting is, after I catch 2 pair, and chief bets into me on the river, do I raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. Chief's range is much wider when the turn goes check-check. I don't think he can fold a lot of hands that you beat here, or if he can, then you should be taking this same line and bluff-raising the river more often.