Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2005, 05:07 AM

Default unhappy with my results.. too results orientated?

Hello,
I've been a regular reader here for a while but this is my first post. I've tried searching for similar posts to this, but couldn't find any... I hope this doesn't fall into the standard 'how many bb/100 should...' pile (it's not intended as that).
I've been playing fairly regularly online now for about 8 months. When I first started, like most new players it was mostly low buyin SNG's, then $0.50/$1 then $1/$2. At this stage, it was all going well - I didn't have much of a clue what I was doing to begin with (I can see now), but I was progressing slowly, reading books, and most importantly at the time, getting good results from it.
Recently however, it's all started to go pearshaped. I've now played almost 10k hands at $2/$4, and am down 1.15bb/100 over that period. In general though, I'm fairly happy with my play. I can look back over a session, and although I will find 1 or 2 hands that I could have played differently (perhaps just with the benefit of hindsight) I'll be happy with my play - even if I lost money on the session. I've read (and re-read) SSH and so on many times, and I feel I understand the ideas presented within them well. When reading hand posts on here, I'll generally come to the same conclusion as most of the replies.
So, in summary - I feel I'm playing well, and yet I still seem to be losing money and I can't just put it down to a small swing - and nor can I find areas of my game that are bad (although I'm not suggesting that they aren't there by any means).
Any suggestions/advice/tips/whatever would be very much appreciated as it's starting to rather frustrate me.

For what it's worth, some of my stats are below (all for 2/4 on pokerroom). Let me know any others that may indicate problems and I'll post them.
VP$IP: 16%
PFR: 5%
Went to showdown: 36%
Won $ at showdown: 48%
I'm in positive figures for all the positions except in the blinds - where I'm -0.22bb/hand and -0.13/hand for BB and SB respectively. What are considered normal figures for these positions?

Thanks for any responses, positive or negative. I gladly appreciate them (well, the former more than the later!)
Old 01-10-2005, 05:25 AM

Default Re: unhappy with my results.. too results orientated?

Well, your won at showdown and preflop raise are both on the low side.

This probably means that you aren't making quite enough laydowns, and also that you probably aren't aggressive enough, and you might not be winning enough uncontested pots.

You could also be running bad, and that is why both of those numbers are low.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can look back over a session, and although I will find 1 or 2 hands that I could have played differently (perhaps just with the benefit of hindsight)

[/ QUOTE ]

Post a few hands here (one at a time). It is possible that others will see mistakes that you miss. Let's face it; none of us can receive too much advise from the expert posters at this forum.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PFR: 5%

[/ QUOTE ]
Clearly this is a problem to the extent that I would label you tight/typical preflop instead of tight/aggressive. A more reasonable PFR is 9%.

Preflop raise standards are discussed regularly on this forum. Look back at what the best posters say and do about preflop raises.

You don't talk much about postflop aggression. My experience is that 5% PFRs are usually not much more aggressive postflop. If that applies to you there is another serious problem to fix.

[ QUOTE ]
I can look back over a session, and although I will find 1 or 2 hands that I could have played differently

[/ QUOTE ]
I suggest that you replay an entire session using Poker Tracker (every hand you saw the flop) and analyze what you did. You might change your mind and learn a few things. This is one of the best ways to improve.

Post a few of the hands that you can't figure out.

[ QUOTE ]
I've now played almost 10k hands at $2/$4, and am down 1.15bb/100 over that period.

[/ QUOTE ]
This doesn't prove anything but it is grounds for serious concern. Typical standard deviation for 10000 hands is about 1.5BB/100. It is unlikely that you are much more than a breakeven player in this game.