Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 11:27 AM

Default Home Game Two Pair

It's .25-.50 NL, a pretty loose table. Everyone in the hand has twenty bucks in chips. There are a bunch of limpers. I'm in the SB with J-10 off suit, so I complete. The BB checks and here comes the flop--

Jc 10c 3d

The pot is about three bucks. I bet six, figuring to get callers from worse hands and draws. MP (Blaz) is loose and but semi agressive. He calls. LP (Chinese Annie) is tight and passive and she calls too. Fourth street comes--

3h.

Still no club flush, but now the board is paired. I check, thinking I'll get a read on these two. Blaz, the LAG bets out ten bucks. Surprisingly, Chinese Annie, tight and passive, very quickly calls. I think for a very long time and fold my top two pair.

Thoughts?
Old 05-20-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Home Game Two Pair

I'll answer for myself, if no one else will.

Yes, either one of them could have a 3. Chinese Annie, who always checks pre-flop no matter what, could have a pair of queens, kings, even aces, and have made a better two pair than mine. If I'm not beat, there are going to be at least 15 cards to beat me, but still, this is a terrible fold, I think. Blazum could have A J or A 10. Either one or both could still be drawing to a straight or flush.

Would anyone like to argue that this was a good fold? In hindsight, I think I've just got to call and pray I'm not way behind.

Also, assuming in a weak game this was a bad fold, are there many games where this WOULD be a good fold?

Any comments appreciated.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:26 PM

If you're going to check this turn: you have two options - a.) you checkraise or b.) you checkfold. Option c.) the checkcall which I feel does not exist is painfully weak and I don't see any point at all.

Personally, I continue my aggression here on the turn. Checking scream extreme weakness.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:28 PM

if they're bad enough to call a 2x bet on the flop they're bad enough to pay you off with less than top 2.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:28 PM

If I was to think about it as an all in situation, I would say it was a good fold. You know at least one of these people are holding something. Maybe one of them flopped a set. True, you could just be up against TPTK, but sometimes it is better to make a solid fold and wait for a better situation. Imagine if you were holding JJ here. You would be jumping out of your seat with all this action.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:43 PM

That's probably right. I should have led the turn. I was considering a check-raise depending on the reads I got, but after Blaz's ten bucks, I could only raise another five fifty, which would have no chance of doing much of anything.