Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2005, 04:38 AM

Default Universal Health Care

What does everyone think about universal healthcare?

I'll give it a go first. I'm a big supporter, but I also think that a two tier system makes sense with regards to non-essential services.

Also out of curiosity, let's say I'm in the US and I'm a poor intercity type character, with no health coverage or money to pay out of pocket for treatment. I get in a car crash and need to go to a hospital, what happens to me?
Old 12-03-2005, 04:57 AM

Default Re: Universal Health Care

[ QUOTE ]
let's say I'm in the US and I'm a poor intercity type character, with no health coverage or money to pay out of pocket for treatment. I get in a car crash and need to go to a hospital, what happens to me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well for starters, you don't post things like this anymore...
Old 12-03-2005, 05:27 AM

Universal health care is great on the surface but underneath is filled with problems like doctor swapping (the overall lessening of personal services because doctors are so busy and often suffled) and the the overall disinterest in becoming a doctor due to the lack of pay.

I love the idea if we did away with money and lived in a perfectly communist society, but in the real world, nope sorry to many negitives for me.

As for your question, you die on the street (or recover from your injuries). That's a little harsh, actually you are taken to a hospital, stabilized, released, then die in the steps, which are much nicer then the street.

Cody
Old 12-03-2005, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What does everyone think about universal healthcare?

I'll give it a go first. I'm a big supporter, but I also think that a two tier system makes sense with regards to non-essential services.

Also out of curiosity, let's say I'm in the US and I'm a poor intercity type character, with no health coverage or money to pay out of pocket for treatment. I get in a car crash and need to go to a hospital, what happens to me?

[/ QUOTE ]

What does the report card of how it's working in Canada say?
Old 12-03-2005, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Universal health care is great on the surface but underneath is filled with problems like doctor swapping (the overall lessening of personal services because doctors are so busy and often suffled) and the the overall disinterest in becoming a doctor due to the lack of pay

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is true. A Swedish doctor has about a third of the purchasing power of an American doctor, yet entry to medical school is more competitive here than in the US.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:33 PM

I'm sure that most people who oppose universal health care in the United States would be surprised to learn that under the current hodgepodge of private insurance and health care providers the United States "does not have anywhere near the best health in the world." (Journal of the American Medical Association, July 2000), even though our per-capita medical spending is quite high compared to other countries.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure that most people who oppose universal health care in the United States would be surprised to learn that under the current hodgepodge of private insurance and health care providers the United States "does not have anywhere near the best health in the world." (Journal of the American Medical Association, July 2000), even though our per-capita medical spending is quite high compared to other countries.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee whiz.....I wonder what kind of conclusions can be drawn from that?
Old 12-03-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
A lot of Americans assume that we have the best health and the best health care system in the world, so the debate over universal health care often starts off with a false premise.

I think it's important to know how Americans' health and the American health care system compare to other major industrialized countries' health and health care systems (all of them have universal health care, by the way), but I could be wrong.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
A lot of Americans assume that we have the best health and the best health care system in the world, so the debate over universal health care often starts off with a false premise.

I think it's important to know how Americans' health and the American health care system compare to other major industrialized countries' health and health care systems (all of them have universal health care, by the way), but I could be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG!!!! Really??

Damn! How can they ALL be so WRONG!

Stupid damned foreigners...what the hell do they know?

Hey, pass me another Bud lite, willya?
Old 12-03-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of Americans assume that we have the best health and the best health care system in the world, so the debate over universal health care often starts off with a false premise

[/ QUOTE ].

The best health-care system does not always lead to the best heath. There are a number of reasons that Americans would have a lower life expectancy: more driving, more eating, less exercise, etc. For an argument that the US system is indeed better than most others, link