Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Re: What to do.....What to do......

I don't understand the question. You checked the flop for no other reason than to try and draw him into the pot. He'sin doing exactly what you wanted. Call.

Slow playing a hand like top pair comes with a small amount of risk, you have to accept that and I assume you got burned by it on this hand. You also win much bigger pots that way. You choose the play you are comfortable with and live with the consequences, but you can't slowplay then fold on that board.
Old 05-28-2005, 04:21 PM

Ok..I see your point now...he had a boat.
I would of played this a bit differently then you ..
1. 1st off he has more chips than you...never forget he can bust you at anytime.
2. he called you preflop, not raised, he could have anything.
3. I would of bet a min of 750 on that flop ...sure he had you beat but you didn't know it.
4. he would of called you or reraised..that would of driven me slow it down quite a bit...personally if he called I would of put him on A-(3 or 5 suited)trying for a backdoor flush , A -(2, 4) going for a st8 and of course a pair of Q's, and if I was reraised, I'd put him on KK or AA,(perhaps even AK), trips or 2 pair.
5. If he just called, just take the next card and bet the same amonut or a lil bit more..if he calls again then you goto the river..
6. The river card really sucked..personally I think I would of just checked it away honestly...perhaps even called a tiny bet but no way would I throw a ton of money into this...
7. I play like this...I treat my chips as gold..my goal is to not loose them first.........then take your chips as I get the chance..you were in a postion that you were playing a decent hand with no help whatsoever against a bigger stack.You don't want to get into a drawing war with a bigger stack, attack, attack.sure he had you beat on this, I may of went all in on him if he reraised me on the flop and lost my chips..but that's poker
Old 05-28-2005, 04:37 PM

Check flop, raise all in on turn. Period.
Old 05-28-2005, 04:48 PM

...or you bet the flop, hoping for him to checkraise. What to do is really betting-pattern-dependant, both for you and your opponent. Point is, with this flop there's no going back for you.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:23 AM

I see the point you guys are making, and I see the value of playing it slow if you think villain is likely to make a move with nothing or a small pair.
But I don't agree that you are wa/wb 100% of the time. The better (tighter) player you are up against, the bigger chance of wa/wb, but remember that we are up against a massive cheap leader, who might be taking all kinds of liberties, including playing hands like Kx, QJ-8, 64s and (shudder) even hands with unpaired 5's and 3's. All of these hands are drawing very live.
Of course, if you decide to take the risk and throw all your chips in no matter what hits the board it might not be a horrible way to go, but I don't like it. As it turns out, this turn and river is a great illustration of why I don't like it.

Edit: Further, there is already 1500 in the pot before the flop, easily making you 2nd biggest stack if you take it. This is not the time to take unnecessary risks IMHO.