Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2004, 05:31 PM

Default Well played, or am I just another hyperagressive internet player now?

Hand 1:

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: SinCityGuy is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, SinCityGuy checks.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">SinCityGuy bets</font>, MP2 calls, SB calls.

Turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">SinCityGuy bets</font>, MP2 folds, SB calls.

River: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">SinCityGuy raises</font>

Hand 2:

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: SinCityGuy is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">SinCityGuy raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">SinCityGuy bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">SinCityGuy 3-bets</font>, CO calls.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SinCityGuy bets</font>, CO calls.

River: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SinCityGuy bets</font>
Old 06-10-2004, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Well played, or am I just another hyperagressive internet player now?

Would you ever play hand #1 like that at a live Mirage 10-20 game?
Old 06-10-2004, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Well played, or am I just another hyperagressive internet player now?

[ QUOTE ]
Would you ever play hand #1 like that at a live Mirage 10-20 game?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done it once. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-10-2004, 05:49 PM

Hand 1. I don't like your raise. In those games players just don't lay down if they have anything at all.

Hand 2. can't see anything wrong with your play.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1. I don't like your raise. In those games players just don't lay down if they have anything at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to agree, but I don't think he has anything. Doesn't his river bet on the 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] look like a bluff? The only way I can win this one is to raise.
Old 06-10-2004, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Well played, or am I just another hyperagressive internet player n

Hand 1: If you've seen the guy fold to a river-raise like that before, fine. In general, I think that's a bad play.

Hand 2: Looks pretty standard.
Old 06-10-2004, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1: If you've seen the guy fold to a river-raise like that before, fine. In general, I think that's a bad play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never seen the guy do anything. All I know is that he's been checking and calling the whole way, then he suddenly bets the river when the 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] hits. I'm supposed to believe that he's got pocket deuces or A3?
Old 06-10-2004, 06:35 PM

Hand 2 is normal. Nothing to comment on there.

Hand 1, well, judging by the play of the hand, even if I don't look at your cards, I'd say that you were both nuts. Yeah, his bet looks like a bluff, though. It's like you 2 were testing each other on this one. "Let's see who can play more typically for a Party nutjob." Against a guy like that, hell the play may be very sound. If he did not fold it sucks, because that means you tried your special move against the wrong guy at the wrong time. That's the only metric to go by.

~D
Old 06-10-2004, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm supposed to believe that he's got pocket deuces or A3?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he has something, he probably doesn't think that card helped you either.

See this hand for an example.
Old 06-10-2004, 06:43 PM

I would only try the move in hand 1 if I had some specific information on the SB. I think it's a very low probability move against a "typical" Party player, but if you know that this guy is weak (which you didn't say) then maybe it's a good play.